• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post

Now re-reading this cos the funds are coming ......and dont think I said Thank you ... so thank you !

My son is very much into vanguard and low cost funds ... given years doing contracting I would quite like to dabble in a small business venture with a friend who runs some commercial property .... my son is like ... dad ffs ... stick it in the fund and stop trying to be del boy and end up with all your free time being spent fannying about with the other venture !
    Thank you and good luck with your future investments. Always happy to help if I can, as are many others here too.

Leave a comment:

• CanPayButWouldRatherNot
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Afraid I don't think you have any other options if you want to be fully invested. Don't forget, investments in your trading account that pay dividends will count against your annual tax free dividend allowance. Bed and ISA with II saves you one of the buy/sell fees, the buy fee is waived on a bed and ISA transaction. And paying more into your II account won't incur any more fees. Time it correctly to use your free trade allowance.

Now re-reading this cos the funds are coming ......and dont think I said Thank you ... so thank you !

My son is very much into vanguard and low cost funds ... given years doing contracting I would quite like to dabble in a small business venture with a friend who runs some commercial property .... my son is like ... dad ffs ... stick it in the fund and stop trying to be del boy and end up with all your free time being spent fannying about with the other venture !

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

City Mapper were using them for a funding round recently. I use the app a lot (well, I did in the before time), so I bunged them a bit of pin money to see what happened. Looking at the rest of the offerings on CrowdCube, I'm just wondering if it's a platform worth using.

It feels a bit like an investment version of Kickstarter. I would probably only use it to back things I've heard of rather than some random company.
    My argument would be the same as yours - only invest in things I would use.

Caldera fits that bill as if I had an oil boiler it's a better option than switching to a heatpump...

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

I've not seen anything there that doesn't scream scam - but that may be only the IT and App ones.

Warmstone Heat Battery - Caldera actually looks like a half decent bet if it's delivering 90% of the electricity used back as heat that's a great deal - but I would need to see it in action first.
    City Mapper were using them for a funding round recently. I use the app a lot (well, I did in the before time), so I bunged them a bit of pin money to see what happened. Looking at the rest of the offerings on CrowdCube, I'm just wondering if it's a platform worth using.

It feels a bit like an investment version of Kickstarter. I would probably only use it to back things I've heard of rather than some random company.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Does anyone use CrowdCube? It seems to be a thing for raising funding for startups so much riskier than your standard investment
    I've not seen anything there that doesn't scream scam - but that may be only the IT and App ones.

Warmstone Heat Battery - Caldera actually looks like a half decent bet if it's delivering 90% of the electricity used back as heat that's a great deal - but I would need to see it in action first.
    Last edited by eek; 20 May 2021, 09:54.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Does anyone use CrowdCube? It seems to be a thing for raising funding for startups so much riskier than your standard investment

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Anyone else been buying into Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust during its recent drop of more than 30%? Looks to be recovering somewhat today.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Hargreaves Lansdown co-founder cashes in GBP300m stake | Hargreaves Lansdown | The Guardian

I don't have anything with HL and have no idea if this is a sign of something or just an old bloke wanting a bit of cash in his dotage?
    He has no day to day involvement with HL and hasn't had for a number of years. It's pocket money to him. I'd say it's of no consequence myself.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Hargreaves Lansdown co-founder cashes in GBP300m stake | Hargreaves Lansdown | The Guardian

I don't have anything with HL and have no idea if this is a sign of something or just an old bloke wanting a bit of cash in his dotage?

Leave a comment:

• CanPayButWouldRatherNot
    replied
    tesla gets a mention here ....

FTSE 100 surges as City guru warns of stock market bubble risk | Business | The Guardian

yours NOT timing the market but with time in the market :-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X