• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pay Cut for contractors? Perm staff get pay increase...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I work for an IT desk for a UK company...

This week we have all been told that the day rate for ALL contractors across the estate esate will be cut by 10% as of the end of June.

This is at the same time as the Permernent staff are having a 2.5% increase in salary due to the cost of living.

All us contractors had our pay increased a few months ago to match AWR etc.

Can the company decrease our pay and then increase the perm staf who complete the same job role?

Is this allowed?

Are you a contractor or a temp? If the latter, then you may have some protection. If the former, not a jot.

For contractors, when a rate cut is mooted, one response is to offer to reduce number of hours worked for the same hourly rate, thereby reducing overall cost. Of course, then overtime kicks in. Unless you're more than just an easily replaced resource, however, you either accept the cut or quit.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

How can a contractor work on a help desk? No specific project. Must be inside IR35.

But anyway, my reply would be that I was finishing end of June. Unless something better came up in which case I would quit instantly. If they are happy to break the contract, I would be too.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
        How can a contractor work on a help desk? No specific project. Must be inside IR35.
        No necessarily. Malvolio use to give a good example.

But anyway, my reply would be that I was finishing end of June. Unless something better came up in which case I would quit instantly. If they are happy to break the contract, I would be too.
        He may not afford to be able to do so.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If he is a contractor he needs to start thinking and acting like one. With that mind set and use of terminology he is putting himself in IR35.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Maybe you should take the time to consider that being inside IR35 is a actually a valid option for a contractor. Being in IR35 isn't some sort of existential failure.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If your pay was increased to fall in line with the permies under the terms of the AWR then a pay cut, providing that nothing else has changed, will be a direct contravention of the legislation.

And I agree with D00hg - being inside IR35 does not make you less of a contractor
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by DannyTc View Post

I work for an IT desk for a UK company...

This week we have all been told that the day rate for ALL contractors across the estate esate will be cut by 10% as of the end of June.

This is at the same time as the Permernent staff are having a 2.5% increase in salary due to the cost of living.

All us contractors had our pay increased a few months ago to match AWR etc.

Can the company decrease our pay and then increase the perm staf who complete the same job role?

Is this allowed?
                YES. Why not?

How is what the permies are getting any of your business in the first place? And vice versa?

If the client decides that permies get to earn £200K a year, and contractors are now going to get 10p a day it makes no difference. You have two choices ultimately:-

1. Stay
                2. Leave

(although usually negotiating for something in between is usually a better idea)
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Refuse to take the cut, if they need you they won't cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                    Refuse to take the cut, if your line manager can convince the bean counters they need you they won't cut it.
                    FTFY.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X