• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

getting paid by cheque? irritating?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting paid by cheque? irritating?

Hi

I did some work for a big company 5 weeks ago, today I receive a cheque instead of the money wired to the business account.

This really irritates me, they send a cheque exactly on the 30th day, now I have to wait another 3-5 days for the cheque to clear.

Of course the work I did was used immediately, the day after I finished..I just find this a cheap trick

But at least you got paid!

As long as the cheque does not bounce that is.

Comment

Originally posted by jonson View Post
      Hi

I did some work for a big company 5 weeks ago, today I receive a cheque instead of the money wired to the business account.

This really irritates me, they send a cheque exactly on the 30th day, now I have to wait another 3-5 days for the cheque to clear.

Of course the work I did was used immediately, the day after I finished..I just find this a cheap trick
      I can see what you mean. They could have faster paymented it which would have been cheaper for them too.

All you can do is put it down to experience and if you get a similar job next time, make sure the contract specifies payment is to be electronic, preferably by faster payments too.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Hi

I get paid by cheque by a few clients. Its generally as they don't have my bank details and they revert to cheque as default method of payment. Once I had a word with them they changed it.

Cheap trick or not the amount of cash flow that can be saved by taking payments up to the wire in big companies is quite large.

Comment

Standard practice IMHO, one way that you could avoid this is to offer a prompt payment discount like a real business, but you probably don't waht to receive less.

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
            Standard practice IMHO, one way that you could avoid this is to up your rate and offer a prompt payment discount like a real business, but you probably don't waht to receive less.
            FTFY.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
              I get paid by cheque by a few clients. Its generally as they don't have my bank details and they revert to cheque as default method of payment. Once I had a word with them they changed it.

Cheap trick or not the amount of cash flow that can be saved by taking payments up to the wire in big companies is quite large.
              well cheques must be cheaper..I clearly gave them instructions on my invoice to pay electronically, in 21 days

instead they ignore it all

Comment

well cheques must be cheaper..I clearly gave them instructions on my invoice to pay electronically, in 21 days

instead they ignore it all
                I'm an accountant by training and cheques are normally only used these days if the company wants to make sure the cash ISN'T coming out of its bank account at month end - usually because there are tough banking covenants in place that look at actual cash in the bank as part of their calculations.

I tend to smile sweetly at clients and say that my small business bank account precludes me from cheques these days and please can they make sure they pay me electronically. So far no-one has queried that....

Comment

Originally posted by SarahL2012 View Post
                  I'm an accountant by training and cheques are normally only used these days if the company wants to make sure the cash ISN'T coming out of its bank account at month end - usually because there are tough banking covenants in place that look at actual cash in the bank as part of their calculations.

I tend to smile sweetly at clients and say that my small business bank account precludes me from cheques these days and please can they make sure they pay me electronically. So far no-one has queried that....
                  Using your feminie charms is an unfair business practice

Comment

Originally posted by SarahL2012 View Post
                    K2P2 is way ahead of you on this one. She goes for a bit more of a direct approach...
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X