• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "getting paid by cheque? irritating?"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Santander do postal banking as well. But then you have to find the time to go to a post box.
    Until either royal mail or Santander lose it that is. Quite likely.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The only thing which would irritate me about being paid by cheque is having to find time to visit the bloody bank.
    Santander do postal banking as well. But then you have to find the time to go to a post box.

Leave a comment:

• GillsMan
    replied
    The only thing which would irritate me about being paid by cheque is having to find time to visit the bloody bank.
    This. One of my clients pays by cheque, reasonably well-sized Lloyds of London Insurance Co based on Leadenhall Street. Bit strange, and mildly irritating, but not enough for me to put up any fuss. Particularly as the gig's quite easy.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    K2P2 is way ahead of you on this one. She goes for a bit more of a direct approach...
    I heard you taught K2P2 everything she needed to know about being direct.

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    Yep that would be the most irritating part for me too.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by jonson View Post
    yeah I mean they must make money on interest, by keeping the money there as long as possible or something..right?
    Lots of business current accounts pay no interest.

Or in terms of your client the fact that they can pay you as late as possible means they have less interest added on to their overdraft.

Leave a comment:

• Greg@CapitalCity
    replied
    yeah I mean they must make money on interest, by keeping the money there as long as possible or something..right?
    Hey jonson, I think you misunderstood me. Think of a business with £500,00 in the bank, debtors of £2m who will pay in 25days time, and whole pile of creditors that need to be paid £600,000 within 30days. If the company pays all its creditors within 7 days it runs out of money - if the company holds off on the creditor payments until 30days is up, it lives to fight another day. See what i mean when I say 'business financing'? Timing can be important.

Leave a comment:

• jonson
    replied
    Originally posted by Greg@CapitalCity View Post
    Especially these days with electronic banking etc. However its tough times for a some people, and some companies figure that paying their creditors right on the time limit is an effective and cheap source of business financing.

Leave a comment:

• Greg@CapitalCity
    replied
    Of course the work I did was used immediately, the day after I finished..I just find this a cheap trick
    Especially these days with electronic banking etc. However its tough times for a some people, and some companies figure that paying their creditors right on the time limit is an effective and cheap source of business financing.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Just phone up and speak to their accounts department.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SarahL2012 View Post
    I tend to smile sweetly at clients and say that my small business bank account precludes me from cheques these days and please can they make sure they pay me electronically. So far no-one has queried that....
    K2P2 is way ahead of you on this one. She goes for a bit more of a direct approach...

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    Originally posted by SarahL2012 View Post
    I'm an accountant by training and cheques are normally only used these days if the company wants to make sure the cash ISN'T coming out of its bank account at month end - usually because there are tough banking covenants in place that look at actual cash in the bank as part of their calculations.

I tend to smile sweetly at clients and say that my small business bank account precludes me from cheques these days and please can they make sure they pay me electronically. So far no-one has queried that....
    Using your feminie charms is an unfair business practice

Leave a comment:

• SarahL2012
    replied
    well cheques must be cheaper..I clearly gave them instructions on my invoice to pay electronically, in 21 days

instead they ignore it all
    I'm an accountant by training and cheques are normally only used these days if the company wants to make sure the cash ISN'T coming out of its bank account at month end - usually because there are tough banking covenants in place that look at actual cash in the bank as part of their calculations.

Leave a comment:

• jonson
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    I get paid by cheque by a few clients. Its generally as they don't have my bank details and they revert to cheque as default method of payment. Once I had a word with them they changed it.

Cheap trick or not the amount of cash flow that can be saved by taking payments up to the wire in big companies is quite large.
    well cheques must be cheaper..I clearly gave them instructions on my invoice to pay electronically, in 21 days

instead they ignore it all

Leave a comment:

Working...
X