• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

parking tickets & Fines - allowable expense?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

parking tickets & Fines - allowable expense?

Hi, Guys

I wanted to know if parking tickets & Fines are allowable expenses when incured as a result going to the client ?

css_jay99

Originally posted by css_jay99
    Hi, Guys

I wanted to know if parking tickets & Fines are allowable expenses when incured as a result going to the client ?

css_jay99
    No.

Comment

what, not even parking meter ?

Can I charge my Co. for just driving to the station ?

Comment

There's a big difference between fines/penaties and legitimate tickets purchased.

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99
          what, not even parking meter ?

Can I charge my Co. for just driving to the station ?
          Ah.. ,you meant tickets as in "I'll buy one of these to let me park here". That is ok.

No penalties are claimable.

Comment

cheers

Comment

Fines

I'm wrong again.

Advice I received was that fines are never claimable. But, thinking about this a bit more, what if you buy a 12 hour ticket at the station car park, bugger off to clients and everything goes tits up. You come back 5 hours over your limit to a car parking fine.

It does seem a bit unreasonable that this should be a personal liability.

It does seem there are circumstances where it might not be:-

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/BIM45101.htm
              http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM21686.htm
              http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/nimmanual/NIM05630.htm

So, if you do get a ticket put it through and see what your accountant says. [Mine said no but YMMV].

Comment

Penalties by the state (inc local government) are not claimable. Not sure that applies to penalties by private companies, NCP and and so on.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
                  You come back 5 hours over your limit to a car parking fine.

It does seem a bit unreasonable that this should be a personal liability.

So, if you do get a ticket put it through and see what your accountant says. [Mine said no but YMMV].
                  I suppose if you had a receipt from NCP for £xx it wouldn't really matter that some of it was a penalty - it's all just parking charges.

A ticket from a traffic warden would be different.

Comment

Talking of which, some absolute insanely anal BASTARD got me in Camden yesterday for going 2 minutes over the paid for hour (ironically being 2 minutes late because some tosser parking attendant had crashed his moped and caused the pavement to be blocked for ages).
                    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Working...
                    X