• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxman let stars duck 10m bill unacceptably slow

Taxman let stars duck £10m bill because it was 'unacceptably' slow | Daily Mail Online
    SAY NO TO RETROSPECTIVE TAX

Comment

No Enquiry Letter

Looking back through my files today I noticed that HMRC have sent me enquiry letters for every year but 1. They have however used this year as part of their overall claim.

Can someone advise me as to what to do? Should I contact HMRC and ask for them to confirm sending out an enquiry letter in correct prescribed form within the timelines allowed?

Is my recourse to appeal, assuming no enquiry letter, too late for the subsequent letters that include that year in the overall claim?

Thanks in advance...

Comment

Originally posted by foolishboy View Post
        Looking back through my files today I noticed that HMRC have sent me enquiry letters for every year but 1. They have however used this year as part of their overall claim.

Can someone advise me as to what to do? Should I contact HMRC and ask for them to confirm sending out an enquiry letter in correct prescribed form within the timelines allowed?

Is my recourse to appeal, assuming no enquiry letter, too late for the subsequent letters that include that year in the overall claim?

Thanks in advance...
        I would get on to Montpelier and get their advice first.

There's one tax year for which neither I nor Montpelier received an enquiry letter.

However, when I queried this with HMRC, they magically managed to produce one with the correct date, using their famous time machine.

I asked Montpelier to confirm to me in writing that they didn't receive anything either. Currently that letter is in my file until it's needed.
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
          I would get on to Montpelier and get their advice first.

There's one tax year for which neither I nor Montpelier received an enquiry letter.

However, when I queried this with HMRC, they magically managed to produce one with the correct date, using their famous time machine.

I asked Montpelier to confirm to me in writing that they didn't receive anything either. Currently that letter is in my file until it's needed.

Thanks for the prompt response Santa.

Yes they have confirmed that they did not receive a letter either for that year. Is there a prescribed format for enquiry notes - does it have to mention Section 9a TMA 1970 etc does anyone know?

Comment

Thanks NTRT

Thanks for all the NTRT ppl working for our cause.

Just checked the latest newsletter and donated.

One quick question (think I know the answer) on a potential settlement %, would that be on the perceived original tax or tax + interest chargers?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Ooops View Post
              Thanks for all the NTRT ppl working for our cause.

Just checked the latest newsletter and donated.

One quick question (think I know the answer) on a potential settlement %, would that be on the perceived original tax or tax + interest chargers?

Thanks
              Many thanks for your donation Ooops.

It's impossible to say at this stage what the terms of any settlement would be, or even whether HMRC would agree to a settlement. We will of course, keep you updated.
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by foolishboy View Post
                Thanks for the prompt response Santa.

Yes they have confirmed that they did not receive a letter either for that year. Is there a prescribed format for enquiry notes - does it have to mention Section 9a TMA 1970 etc does anyone know?
                I have sent you a PM.

Comment

Has anyone else got the letter about the 'new' solution?
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    Has anyone else got the letter about the 'new' solution?
                    Yes, I havent been a contractor for a few years but if I was it sounds of interest as without giving anything away its NOT a tax avoidance scheme before people chime in!

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                      Yes, I havent been a contractor for a few years but if I was it sounds of interest as without giving anything away its NOT a tax avoidance scheme before people chime in!
                      No letter here, but I'm contracting via a Ltd company. My year end is December, so new year I could start something different

Comment

Working...
                      X