• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    This montpelier letter is very annoying. I am trying to keep away from CUK.

The cheek of WG is unbelievable. What a ****. S58 has now been hanging over us for nearly 7 years. It has destroyed me and my family. Does he actually believe there is any chance that anyone here will actually use him? I think hes been spending too long in the Barbados sun at his holiday home - where he keeps all his money.

He can carry on unaffected while he fights. The rest of us cannot. He has never put in a penny to NTRT. If he had an ounce of decency he would fund the maximum legal action now - in particular personally suing the HMRC big 5.

I would not trust him to look after my cat. If anyone has any sense they will keep well clear until this s58 stuff is sorted out.
    Where WG is concenered you fluctuate dramatically between praise and venom

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
      Couldn't agree more.

A few people made A LOT of money out of us and you want to go back for more? They are only fighting the decision on S58 since they have a lot more of OUR money to take.
      The thought of using more tax planning makes my blood run cold. I have had made only one diversion into the land of tax-planning in my life and the result is near-ruinous debt if we lose. And I'm one of the lucky ones. I don't even believe PSCs are safe, I can see a situation in a few years time where you have to pay up front as if you are in IR35 and then have to prove your entitlement to a rebate. I strongly suspect that's what that question on the Annual Returns is all about, so they can backdate it when the system is in place, though that's only my own opinion. Many people who were criticising us are now also up to their necks in it, and it's only going to get worse. I am glad MontP have kept up the fight, WG, whatever criticisms some may sling at him, has proven himself to be a man of his word, but I won't be going anywhere near a tax consultant again.

Comment

Originally posted by screwthis View Post
        Where WG is concenered you fluctuate dramatically between praise and venom
        I think he has done very well for himself. And will eventually win through for us. My concern is the amount of time he will take to win through for us.

However I admit I was wrong footed by his decision to stay and fight HMRC. I thought he would foxtrot oscar. And that would have left us stuffed.

I can see this issue still being around in 2020.....

Comment

I think you are being somewhat harsh in your views and comments, but you are entitled to your own opinion.

I received the letter too from Montpelier and found it somewhat ironic that here we are again discussing IR35 as the main issue and ways to resolve it. Everything changes and nothing changes.

I dont blame Montpelier for doing this nor do I hold them to blame for anything prior. Accountability for this is entirely my own and the real criminals in this have been parliament and HMRC. Lesson learnt and I have to move on.

On the face of it, Montpeliers offer isnt a bad one. I currently pay £95 a month for accountancy fees with no IR35 protection at all. Montpeliers offer by comparison seems reasonable. My single gripe with Montpelier has always been about communication and decent customer service, day in, day out. And that alone would be enough from preventing me from progressing with them.

One final thought looking back over the last 10 years or so - I took up Montpeliers initial proposal as I was very worried about the impact of IR35 at that time, and still am now but to a lesser degree. Had I just continued contracting via a ltd company my tax liability would be substantially less than that I now will have to pay to HMRC, interest aside, as the whole amount is taxed as income plus NI etc. Whats the moral of the story - just stick with ltd company, it works well, but also look to protect yourself against IR35 where you can

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          I think he has done very well for himself. And will eventually win through for us. My concern is the amount of time he will take to win through for us.

However I admit I was wrong footed by his decision to stay and fight HMRC. I thought he would foxtrot oscar. And that would have left us stuffed.

I can see this issue still being around in 2020.....

Comment

Originally posted by foolishboy View Post
            I think you are being somewhat harsh in your views and comments, but you are entitled to your own opinion.
            Sometimes things need saying bluntly.

I dont blame Montpelier for doing this nor do I hold them to blame for anything prior.
            I don't blame Montpelier for trying it on. I would blame anyone who falls for this a second time. I do blame them for not trying to resolve this faster.

Accountability for this is entirely my own and the real criminals in this have been parliament and HMRC.
            I agree. No-one put a gun to our heads to make us join. I agree that parliament and HMRC are culpable - but the only way round that is legal action.

Lesson learnt and I have to move on.
            Lucky you if you can move on. I cannot until this is done.
            I have learnt my lesson - I am not using Montpelier again. And anyone who even thinks about using them before s58 is resolved is seriously seriously warped.

Comment

Very harsh criticism regarding Montpelier and the recent letter.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head to join up. Nobody did hold a gun to your head to join so many years ago. Well maybe HMRC did.

Personally hearing about other schemes where the operators have vanished I have a lot more faith in Montpelier than perhaps some care to consider.

They haven't run off, they are still fighting our corner.

The letter is only offering what many other companies are but the difference is we have a history with Montpelier and know they don't go down without a fight.

Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post

Nobody is holding a gun to your head to join up. Nobody did hold a gun to your head to join so many years ago. Well maybe HMRC did.

Personally hearing about other schemes where the operators have vanished I have a lot more faith in Montpelier than perhaps some care to consider.

The letter is only offering what many other companies are but the difference is we have a history with Montpelier and know they don't go down without a fight.

Just saying.
                Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post

Just saying.
                  Once again you ignore my central point. I am concerned that after 7 years we are no further forward. I would like to see Montpelier throwing everything at a legal solution - namely suing the HMRC5.

It is clear now that the right way is limited. I can't say that other providers would do better or worse than Montpelier.

I have harsh criticism for Montpelier - but way way harsher for anyone for anyone who has any more to do with them.

Comment

Isn't the whole point of the "No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008" thread is discuss just that. To be honest I'm getting cheesed off with all the non-related cr@p that is being posted on this thread. Yes we are all in pain and all struggle to sleep at night, but can't we just concentrate on the battle with HMRC?

Sorry to rant.

Comment

Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post
                      Isn't the whole point of the "No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008" thread is discuss just that. To be honest I'm getting cheesed off with all the non-related cr@p that is being posted on this thread. Yes we are all in pain and all struggle to sleep at night, but can't we just concentrate on the battle with HMRC?

Sorry to rant.
                      I think you have a very good point.

I would like to add that NTRT have now said the political campaign is being wound down. In favour of legal action. It was said early on in the first bn66 thread that there are probably no more than a few hundred people who could sensibly comment on the legal aspects of bn66. And none of them will comment on here. I think we did get a few posts from BOK - but nothing of any depth.

Hence following that reasoning the thread would be redundant.

Others have made the point that this thread is for NTRTers to stick together and support each other. I don't believe I was supported by those on this thread - in fact I still feel failed. If others find it useful then fine.

I feel very strongly that anyone who rejoins Montpelier now is doing us a disservice. I will make no apology for saying that. And that is partly is pain/lack of sleep is the least of my worries. I do not intend to post my full woes on an open forum. As it will lead to me getting banned. Its well known on these boards I am seeing a shrink. Guess what thoughts he is trying to stop me acting on.

At this point I wish I had not left the NTRT steering committee. Someone needs to be very blunt with WG and get him to get some impetus with getting a successful conclusion.

Once again, I am not sorry for ranting. This stuff needs to be said.

Comment

Working...
                      X