• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
    Yes, I havent been a contractor for a few years but if I was it sounds of interest as without giving anything away its NOT a tax avoidance scheme before people chime in!
    Yes, got one too. It's of no interest to me as I don't contract any more, but it looks to me like Montpelier are offering general accountancy services.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

I'm no longer contracting either but, if I was, I would certainly consider it.

Comment

Am contracting and ltd but not had the letter thus far

Comment

No new solution

No letter here yet !
          SAY NO TO RETROSPECTIVE TAX

Comment

This montpelier letter is very annoying. I am trying to keep away from CUK.

The cheek of WG is unbelievable. What a ****. S58 has now been hanging over us for nearly 7 years. It has destroyed me and my family. Does he actually believe there is any chance that anyone here will actually use him? I think hes been spending too long in the Barbados sun at his holiday home - where he keeps all his money.

He can carry on unaffected while he fights. The rest of us cannot. He has never put in a penny to NTRT. If he had an ounce of decency he would fund the maximum legal action now - in particular personally suing the HMRC big 5.

I would not trust him to look after my cat. If anyone has any sense they will keep well clear until this s58 stuff is sorted out.

Comment

Got the letter ...no mention of north Korea in this one though brillo !!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                HMRC big 5
                Who are they?

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
                  Who are they?
                  I can't remember their names - though Brannigan is one of them.

For those of you thinking of using Montpelier let me tell you a story.

I was in Equitable Life. When they got into trouble you had to pay an exit fee to leave. I was undecided. There was an article by Finance editor of Telegraph saying he had been a member and paid the fee to leave. He said that the hardest part about these decisions is admitting you have made a mistake.

When s58 came along I did not go into the loan scheme. I admitted I had made a mistake.

Anyone that considers using Montpelier now is seriously deluded. You are unable to face up to reality and admit you have made a mistake.

Though I would love to get the list of names of those who would consider this. I have some coastal property to sell you. Viewing at low tide only.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    When s58 came along I did not go into the loan scheme. I admitted I had made a mistake.

Anyone that considers using Montpelier now is seriously deluded. You are unable to face up to reality and admit you have made a mistake.

Couldn't agree more.

A few people made A LOT of money out of us and you want to go back for more? They are only fighting the decision on S58 since they have a lot more of OUR money to take.

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
                      Couldn't agree more.

A few people made A LOT of money out of us and you want to go back for more? They are only fighting the decision on S58 since they have a lot more of OUR money to take.
                      Strongly agree - and I would like to add that they don't just our money - they want other people's money too.

Nearly 7 years of fighting now. Montp really need to throw their full weight(of money) behind the NTRT legal campaign.

I have to admit I am green with envy at those who can afford to settle with HMRC. I am not in that position. For me its fight all the way - I have no choice.

I do hope that when my shrink gets involved HMRC ignore his advice. I remember when I was spoken to by the police about comments made on this forum. He was keen to point out that its just business - nothing personal. I pointed out how wrong he is. Its personal for HMRC and personal for me.

Put any of us in a corner and we will come out fighting like caged animals. It should surprise no-one that in 1989 Yugoslavia was a civilized country and 2 years later it was Dantes inferno.

Comment

Working...
                      X