• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by warlord View Post
    Ok thanks this is a key fact, even a small percentage of my 130k liability over one year will kill me. I need payment terms of 5 years or more, else I will go bust. So will have to vote for can't pay.......
    Its the interest that is the killer, a small percentage of my original liability (50k) minus any interest etc is do'able over a one year period

Comment

Ok thanks this is a key fact, even a small percentage of my 130k liability over one year will kill me. I need payment terms of 5 years or more, else I will go bust. So will have to vote for can't pay.......
      So HMRC will need to make you bankrupt then. Good luck to HMRC finding a judge for a bankruptcy order on a debt that will still be under challenge.

Comment

Don't expect any sympathy whatsoever from the Judges / HMRC. We saw an argument similar to below at the judicial review when the judge dismissed our claim that the tax was was unexpected.

** devils advocate here **

We were notified of this over 6 years ago and for most people, we were advised to pay on account during each tax year we submitted.

It this wasn't enough time to get your affairs in order, you have only yourself to blame.

** end devils advocate **

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post

It this wasn't enough time to get your affairs in order, you have only yourself to blame.

You can’t justify or defend an insensitive and inflammatory statement by ring fencing with ‘devil’s advocate’. This statement assumes everyone has surplus cash or assets over the term to cover the demand despite the financial crises.

Be constructive or don’t bother as this is simply unnecessary

-------------
          Thanks to NTRT for all the great work and I wish everyone a Happy New Year.. even you helen7

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
            Don't expect any sympathy whatsoever from the Judges / HMRC. We saw an argument similar to below at the judicial review when the judge dismissed our claim that the tax was was unexpected.

We were notified of this over 6 years ago and for most people, we were advised to pay on account during each tax year we submitted.

In the courts we were in - agreed. Judge Parker made a very bad ruling. Bankruptcy courts - not so sure.

Originally posted by WhatEver View Post
            You can’t justify or defend an insensitive and inflammatory statement by ring fencing with ‘devil’s advocate’. This statement assumes everyone has surplus cash or assets over the term to cover the demand despite the financial crises.

-------------
            Thanks to NTRT for all the great work and I wish everyone a Happy New Year.. even you helen7
            If Helen7 was a troll then agreed. Well know not a troll so I agree with her. Oddle I agree with your argument too!

Comment

Originally posted by WhatEver View Post

-------------
              The money I earnt between 2002 and 2007, was spent on an expensive mortgage and hoildays etc, there is no pot of gold, not in 2007, etc and not now. My house now is mortgaged to the hilt. I couldn't pay in 2008 and I can't pay now, well too be true I could afford to pay 150 per month for the next twenty years lol....no wait they seem to think I can afford to pay 2500 per month over a maximum of one year.

Comment

The money I earnt between 2002 and 2007, was spent on an expensive mortgage and hoildays etc, there is no pot of gold, not in 2007, etc and not now. My house now is mortgaged to the hilt. I couldn't pay in 2008 and I can't pay now, well too be true I could afford to pay 150 per month for the next twenty years lol....no wait they seem to think I can afford to pay 2500 per month over a maximum of one year.
                Hmrc get real :-(

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  So HMRC will need to make you bankrupt then. Good luck to HMRC finding a judge for a bankruptcy order on a debt that will still be under challenge.
                  The insolvency practitioners I've spoken to have suggested that bankrupting someone, with all the implications that such an action entails, over a debt that is under challenge in a legal process will present judges with a real problem.
                  On one hand it is an enforceable debt - on the other the damage caused by such an action would not be redressed by the bankrupt winning in court.
                  A mess.

Comment

Certificate of Tax Deposit

Hi all

I'd like to complete the NTRT survey but am unsure how my CTDs would affect things.

Any thoughts ?

Happy New Year to all and thanks again for the team's tireless efforts.

D

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
                      Hi all

I'd like to complete the NTRT survey but am unsure how my CTDs would affect things.

Any thoughts ?

Happy New Year to all and thanks again for the team's tireless efforts.

D
                      Ive got a CTD but dont see how that impacts what answers you give in the survey.

Just think of the CTD as a separate insurance policy that could be used if you have to pay the full liability in that eventuality.

If another resolution is possible, you either get all your CTD back or a greater \ lesser part of it.
                      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                      X