• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
    good for you EBT guys, doesnt help non-EBT users though
    Good to know though, that the FTT does rule against HMRC. At first, I thought it was an extension of the establishment's old boys club.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
      good for you EBT guys, doesnt help non-EBT users though
      I wonder how much the backlog of cases waiting for the tribunal were EBT users? This might remove quite a lot from the queue.

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
        I have long suspected that we are a 'special' case with the politicians and HMRC. We're not rich, we don't have powerful friends, we're ordinary working people who just happened upon a loophole. We just cannot be allowed to get away with this. They'll bankrupt us without giving it a thought.
        So true my ACCA accountant sister in law said the same thing back in 2008

Comment

Does the Magna Carta cover retrospection aka the Rule of Law? I'm compiling a letter to my MP and want to get my facts rights

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneSailing View Post
            I wonder how much the backlog of cases waiting for the tribunal were EBT users? This might remove quite a lot from the queue.
            Why? I reckon in HMRC eyes it means that they can't simply issue follower notices and will just take them to an FTT hoping for a friendlier judge...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Why? I reckon in HMRC eyes it means that they can't simply issue follower notices and will just take them to an FTT hoping for a friendlier judge...
              Won't the tax payer be able to argue precedence?

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
                Won't the tax payer be able to argue precedence?
                As people have continually pointed out all these schemes are variations on a theme. While some may match Rangers others won't..
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
                  Does the Magna Carta cover retrospection aka the Rule of Law? I'm compiling a letter to my MP and want to get my facts rights
                  There are only 5 countries in the world where retrospection is legal? Its illegal in Zimbabwe...

Comment

Lin Homer

Some slight good news...

When HMRC were questioned this week in Parliament on how they will use their powers (APN’s), Lin Homer said they will at this stage only seek accelerated payment in cases where there has already been a tribunal decision in their favour.

So I guess that at least buys us time up until the Huitson/Shiner FTT decision.
                    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                      Some slight good news...

When HMRC were questioned this week in Parliament on how they will use their powers (APN’s), Lin Homer said they will at this stage only seek accelerated payment in cases where there has already been a tribunal decision in their favour.

So I guess that at least buys us time up until the Huitson/Shiner FTT decision.
                      I have never believed APN legistlation would affect us. Its the FTTT that counts.

Any idea what the FTTT delay is now? When we might be heard? Last I heard was 2015 - but these things have a way of slipping.

Comment

Working...
                      X