• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    Hi and welcome.

Send an email to info AT notoretrotax.org.uk and include the name of your MP so we can check what they've already had.

Cheers
    DR

Have sent 3 e-mails to infoatnotoretrotax.org.ukbut received no reply. Is addres correct ?
    Nautical

Comment

Hi Nautical

Sorry you have had problems with the emails. We have had spam and I've had to change a few things.

The email address should be fully operational now.

Regards

Santa
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Emails to the NTRT team

Hi all

There seems to have been a problem with spam and mail forwarding from the NTRT email address. This may have resulted in some messages not getting through to the Steering Group or Whitehouse.

I have rectified the forwarding problem now, so if anyone has recently sent a message and not had a reply, please could you resend.

There is also the option of sending messages for the attention of Whitehouse direct to carl.thomson at whitehouseconsulting co uk (symbols removed to avoid more spam).

Thanks and regards

Santa
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Great Work!

Dear all,

May I add my thanks and admiration to those involved in the NTRT. It's encouraging to say the least. I will add a further contribution to the coffers this evening.

I am confused as to why noone (to my knowledge) has yet had a final demand from HMRC re this, since the Supreme Court appeal was rejected over a year ago now. Anyone got any ideas why? Could it be that HMRC are concerned that they'll lose on points of law in the FTTT, rather than on the national interest/human rights angle?

As I understand it, the next hurdle is First Tier Tax Tribunal, which we can't get to until a final demand is served and appealed?

Thanks all,

B.

Comment

Originally posted by Britspud View Post
            I am confused as to why noone (to my knowledge) has yet had a final demand from HMRC re this, since the Supreme Court appeal was rejected over a year ago now. Anyone got any ideas why? Could it be that HMRC are concerned that they'll lose on points of law in the FTTT, rather than on the national interest/human rights angle?

As I understand it, the next hurdle is First Tier Tax Tribunal, which we can't get to until a final demand is served and appealed?
            My own view is that HMRC are just incredibly slow at dealing with things. Look at how long it took them to close the scheme - over 6 years!

If there was little sense of urgency to close it then there will be even less to progress matters to tribunal.
            Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 8 November 2012, 13:18.

Comment

...If there was no sense of urgency to close it then there will be even less to progress matters to tribunal.
              Unless they thought there was a good chance of winning
              http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Reply from my MP today

I received a reply from my MP this morning which included a 2 page response from Gauke.

Gauke's response makes specific reference to TE63, Jane Kennedy & Davis' statement.

I won't divulge the contents here, but have forwarded a pdf to Whitehouse already.

To my knowledge this is the most extensive reponse that Gauke has provided on this matter.
                Ninja

'Salad is a dish best served cold'

Comment

Sounds interesting!!!!! I would guess there are no surprises in the reply though?? More a case of Gauke starting to engage after realising we aren’t going away quietly!!

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
                    Unless they thought there was a good chance of winning
                    I don't think it matters either way.

They are jobsworths.

I know because my brother-in-law used to work in their special investigations. They get off on bullying taxpayers but they shy away from hard work.
                    Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 8 November 2012, 14:12.

Comment

My own view is that HMRC are just incredibly slow at dealing with things. Look at how long it took them to close the scheme - over 6 years!

If there was little sense of urgency to close it then there will be even less to progress matters to tribunal.
                      I dare say we will still get Hectors usual xmas letter? Christmas wouldnt be the same without it!

Am hoping to secure a contract (touches wood) over the next few weeks. If I get it, first priority is a healthy donation to NTRT.

Comment

Working...
                      X