• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letter from Hector

I received a letter from HMRC this morning (Weds 23 October).

They suggest that I might want to '.... settle rather than await the outcome of the proceedings before the FTT ...'.

I thought we were waiting for the ECHR?

Do we have a case before the FTT?

Confused.

Comment

Just got the same letter as the previous two posts.

Comment

Just got this letter to, well send to whitehouse and de graff
        Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Got the same letter which I have scanned and forwarded to the Steering Group.

Very nice of HMRC to send me a "newsletter" on best quality bogroll. I'm sure they only have my best interests at heart, as they have done throughout this whole process.

As with anything that HMRC send, you have to read between the lines. Does a spurious paragraph from Lady Justice Arden actually mean anything? Why would they discourage each and every one of us from going to the FTT?

The letter raises more questions than it provides answers. I'll let the others tear it to shreds.
          Last edited by SantaClaus; 23 October 2013, 11:29.
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Same here.

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
            Just received an update letter from HMRC, inviting me to make payment instead of waiting for the outcome of the First Tier Tribunal.

This is either procedural or they are starting to get worried and are attempting to squeeze money out of people.

Copy sent to Whitehouse.

Still, it's had the desired effect of getting me very worried again. Gulp.
            That'll teach me to work from home.

Comment

What sort of government department includes a paragraph in an official letter that starts with a "pally" and "patronising" tone:

"so you must ask yourself what is the likelihood..."

Very unprofessional and smacks a bit of desperation.

It doesn't really give me any confidence that what they are saying has an ounce of truth.
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                What sort of government department includes a paragraph in an official letter that starts with a "pally" and "patronising" tone:

"so you must ask yourself what is the likelihood..."

Very unprofessional and smacks a bit of desperation.

It doesn't really give me any confidence that what they are saying has an ounce of truth.
                Yip I get the feeling it's desperation and can't wait to hear the outcome of our complaint.

Comment

Letter from Hector

Also received Lamb's letter today. Putting the application to the ECHR to one side for a minute, are HMRC planning to start enforcing collection if the FTT doesn't go our way? Looking forward to hearing NTRT's analysis shortly.
                  http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

HMRC letter

I also got a letter today. Only quickly skimmed this morning so not sure how to interpret. I took the impression that if we lost FTT that they would start collecting?

What are the dates for the FTT?

Comment

Message from NTRT

Ignore the HMRC letter and wait for the NTRT newsletter which will be out in the next fortnight.

Comment

Working...
                      X