• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flood gates opening

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
    Let's not forget it's not just Jimmy Carr, Gary Barlow and probably countless others are involved.
    I'm friends with a famous DJ whose been around since the late eighties

He said that post Carr, HMRC has already called him to question his offshore activities. He has also received a call from a slightly concerned Wayne Rooney asking for advice.

Comment

Sent another response to Mark Menzies

Dear Mr Menzies,

Thank you very much for your quick response to my recent letter concerning section 58(4) of the Finance Bill 2008.

With all the current publicity surrounding LEGAL tax avoidance schemes it only disappoints me more that I have been the victim of unfair treatment at the hands of HMRC and our last Government.

Perhaps I could use the Jimmy Carr line:

"I met with a financial advisor and he said to me, " Do you want to pay less tax (and avoid the uncertainly around IR35)? It's totally legal"

"I said, 'Yes'

"I now realise I've made a terrible error of judgement. Apologies to everyone"

"I no longer use this scheme"

I was using a perfectly LEGAL tax avoidance scheme that required a law change retrospectively for HMRC to cover up for their failures (7 years). In actual fact that is the whole point, it did work and needed the law changed with a time machine!

Why did I use this scheme - simply because the Government introduced IR35 and 100% uncertainty as to how I should operate my Limited Company. This still stands today with even more confusion over this attack on Personal Service Companies.

I am concerned that Mr Guake will respond to your letter with the standard response that he has maintained since in Government. A response which is the total opposite of what he said he was going to do when in opposition.

On Tuesday 26th June 2012 an amendment will be tabled to make the law prospective from the date it was introduced.

I would very much appreciate that you support me and the 3000 others in voting in favour of this amendment.

The future of my family depends on this outcome!

Yours sincerely,

Comment

Morally wrong ?

Is tax avoidance 'morally wrong'? | Poll | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

This is all well and good but so what ? Do we get thrown in jail for being morally wrong ? Do we get made bankrupt for being morally wrong ? Do we have our livelihoods taken away for being morally wrong ? No, because morality is largely subjective and open to polls such as the above.

We have laws, which perhaps guide our morals, and if these get broken we get punished

Gauke said “Whether something is against the law or not, morality is bigger than that..." WHAT ! Morality is subjective. Laws are not (or shouldn't be). What a wishy washy world we live in... loving the certainty
        http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by screwthis View Post
          I'm friends with a famous DJ whose been around since the late eighties

He said that post Carr, HMRC has already called him to question his offshore activities. He has also received a call from a slightly concerned Wayne Rooney asking for advice.
          I only hope one of these public figures has the balls to stand up and turn the tables, they are only required to pay as much tax as the law demands, if government thinks thats not enough, then change the law! Arguments about morality should be left to the Church and philosophers.
          Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Amendment has been tabled

It may not be what you were expecting, or hoping for, but there are good reasons why it has been positioned in this way.

House of Commons Amendments

All being well, it should be debated in the Finance Bill Committee on Tuesday.

Comment

Running Total

Do we have a running total of the number of MPs contacted ?

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
                Gauke said “Whether something is against the law or not, morality is bigger than that..." WHAT ! Morality is subjective. Laws are not (or shouldn't be). What a wishy washy world we live in... loving the certainty
                Morally,morally,morally,morally, Law is but a dream.

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
                  Dear Mr Menzies,

Thank you very much for your quick response to my recent letter concerning section 58(4) of the Finance Bill 2008.

With all the current publicity surrounding LEGAL tax avoidance schemes it only disappoints me more that I have been the victim of unfair treatment at the hands of HMRC and our last Government.

Perhaps I could use the Jimmy Carr line:

"I met with a financial advisor and he said to me, " Do you want to pay less tax (and avoid the uncertainly around IR35)? It's totally legal"

"I said, 'Yes'

"I now realise I've made a terrible error of judgement. Apologies to everyone"

"I no longer use this scheme"

I was using a perfectly LEGAL tax avoidance scheme that required a law change retrospectively for HMRC to cover up for their failures (7 years). In actual fact that is the whole point, it did work and needed the law changed with a time machine!

Why did I use this scheme - simply because the Government introduced IR35 and 100% uncertainty as to how I should operate my Limited Company. This still stands today with even more confusion over this attack on Personal Service Companies.

I am concerned that Mr Guake will respond to your letter with the standard response that he has maintained since in Government. A response which is the total opposite of what he said he was going to do when in opposition.

On Tuesday 26th June 2012 an amendment will be tabled to make the law prospective from the date it was introduced.

I would very much appreciate that you support me and the 3000 others in voting in favour of this amendment.

The future of my family depends on this outcome!

Yours sincerely,
                  That's an excellent response.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    It may not be what you were expecting, or hoping for, but there are good reasons why it has been positioned in this way.

I think "...review the implementation" should be an interesting piece of work!
                    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

With the above in mind, what do we now need to ask our MP's to be doing.

zippo
                      SAY NO TO RETROSPECTIVE TAX

Comment

Working...
                      X