• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in

Well done DR and the rest of the 'back-room' boys/girls - a very impressive piece of investigative work.

Have joined the NTRT campaign and donation made - gladly.

One other thought for consideration -
    What if Hector ultimately has no real intention of applying S58(4) in its full fury, but is using this idea, and letting all of us get into a bit of a lather (ie smoke-screen), then introduce something else from left field.
    If we are so convinced that we have enough ammunition to get changes made to S58, they must also be fully aware of that fact. I'm just a tad concerned that they have something else up their sleeve ..........

Request to see my MP face to face in the post - will report as required.

Well done all - who said you can't herd cats?

Comment

Originally posted by nolongerlurker View Post
      Well done DR and the rest of the 'back-room' boys/girls - a very impressive piece of investigative work.

What if Hector ultimately has no real intention of applying S58(4) in its full fury, but is using this idea, and letting all of us get into a bit of a lather (ie smoke-screen), then introduce something else from left field.
      If we are so convinced that we have enough ammunition to get changes made to S58, they must also be fully aware of that fact. I'm just a tad concerned that they have something else up their sleeve ..........

They had 6 years to think of something less outrageous but couldn't.
      http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by mrkitchen View Post
        I will forward the whole letter onto DR, however it finishes with:-

"I understand that HMRC has made it consistently made it clear that it considered that the scheme did not work and has regularly recommended that payments on account be made. HMRC has established procedures to consider allowing Time to Pay for those with short term difficulties meeting liabilities as the fall due"
        How in Heaven's name are HMRC getting away with this?

This grotesque lie should be enough to put all Parliament in a rage!

Comment

Fantastic - I'm in too!

Donation made to NTRT campaign - thanks to DR and everyone else involved

Comment

Originally posted by nolongerlurker View Post

The only thing I can think of is that HMRC are stalling until
            the GAAR comes in. A slightly retrospective element of this is outlined on page 74 of this were arrangements are still in play over the commencement date. I can see them trying to claim that if tribunals are underway when this comes in then they'll just claim the GAAR applies.

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/d/gaar...ort_111111.pdf

Comment

Can the Conservatives be trusted over Retrospective Tax?

Read what Gauke said in the debate in 2008 (especially his final closing sentence):
              http://notoretrotax.org.uk/public-do...e%20Quotes.doc

Now contrast that with the BS he is trotting out now to justify retrospection.

Would you trust anything they say about retrospective tax?

Comment

Reply from my MP

I've had an email reply from my MP David Ruffley (whose on the Treasury Commitee)

He said that he sympathised with out plight, and that he had also recently received a document from the No to retro tax campaign on the same subject. He asked if I was aware of the campaign and attached a copy of the documentation that the campaign had sent him.

He said that we did not have a face to face at the moment as he was working his way through the campaigns information and that they had also asked for a one to one meeting with him.

I had a quick read through of the attached docs which I assume came from the whitehouse consultants, it seemed to my uneducated eyes to be very well put together.

Comment

Paid Up & Ready to Rumble...!

I'm in, outstanding Job guys...

My MP is on the 2012 Budget Finance Bill Committee, so will be writing to him asap....

Comment

Question from a fellow scheme member :-

What happens if the group do not raise enough cash?

Comment

I can't believe this is legal....

Also, kudos to the guys writing to their MP's (I've also done so) - if everyone who posts here posts to the MP's surely it will help.

Comment

Working...
                      X