• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

retro car!

I assume that HMRC will go after Mr Carr with a retrospective law going back x years? surely its 1 rule for all...

Comment

Re: Urgent call to action

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      Urgent Call to Action

Please can everyone email this to their MP now. The amendment will hopefully be tabled next Tuesday 26th June, hence the urgency.

Thanks!
      DR
      Sent letter and a couple of days ago sent reply to being Gauke'd. Also round up another 3 chaps to check forum and send letter.

Comment

five mp's contacted

my mp and friends ups mailed

Comment

Initial email sent to Connservative constituency address plus a letter, recorded delivery, followed up by an extract email to the parliament address.
          Lets hope he can finally grasp the issue and support us.

Comment

Consistency ?

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
            I assume that HMRC will go after Mr Carr with a retrospective law going back x years? surely its 1 rule for all...
            Amazing to see the comments about this today including the PM and other people. Good to see that HMRC are investigating all avoidance schemes - however, bet a £100k they don't backdate their tax. I just can't ever see this happening.

CONSISTENCY PLEASE.........STOP OUR SCHEME BY ALL MEANS BUT NO TO RETRO TAXATION

Comment

MP Jeremy Hunt emailed on Tuesday

No response yet, will follow up with a call on Friday.

Makes my blood boil to hear the PM personally attack tax avoiders as "morally wrong"

He father needs to remind him that he made a lucrative career out of it and he seems to have conveniently forgotten the expenses scandal that demonstrated that most MPs are as morally bankrupt as the man next door

Was gobsmacked to find myself in total agreement with Milliband saying its not for politicians to lecture on morallity!

If I ever bring myself to vote for a mainstream political party in this country again I will eat a plate of tulip.

Comment

Carr or not to Carr

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                I got it tonight on Sky News. Not great PR with reruns of Davo saying tax avoidance was morally wrong and dodgy. BUT! what a fine job Mr Milliband & co. did of telling the govt. it's not their job to lecture us on morality and punish us on public opinion.

I think it's great that a public figure's been targeted. Despite the arrangements, it's been publicly declared now as legal. And legal is ok. He's already said he's paid what he legally owes - and no more. And he's too cool 4 skool to back down. He'll make a mockery of the govt. telling him he's 'dodgy'.

Some might think Mr Cameron that its morally wrong that a footballer earns 99k a week and lives 6 months a year in Monanco to avoid tax while fans pay 60 quid a ticket. But if his legal arrangements allow him the luxury of scoring the winning goal for England in EM 2012, not a word of morality will be mentioned whilst you use the oppurtunity to say what a great contribution he's made to this country. And those twat reporters on Sky saying other schemes pale in comparison - sorry Davo, was Lord Ashcroft's tax savings judged to be moral because he passed them on to the Conservative campaign?

If the PM & the HMRC want scandal, watch the soaps on TV. Otherwise be up front with us and end this witch-hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by GottaBeOptimistic View Post
                  Amazing to see the comments about this today including the PM and other people. Good to see that HMRC are investigating all avoidance schemes - however, bet a £100k they don't backdate their tax. I just can't ever see this happening.

CONSISTENCY PLEASE.........STOP OUR SCHEME BY ALL MEANS BUT NO TO RETRO TAXATION
                  Our complaint is that Parliament was misled into making the closedown retrospective. They didn't even know the truth about what they were being asked to do.

What does that say for the rule of law and HMRCs respect for the law?

Our case is not about tax avoidance, it's about the right to a fair trial. To be judged impartially in the face of the law.

What if we took HMRCs behaviour as an example of how we should behave?

Jimmy Carr's only comment on his tax affairs being made public was that he paid the tax that was due and no more. Strangly, that's exactly what the Courts have always said too. It's a difficult one to argue against. For those who disagree, how much extra tax have you paid that was not due?

Perhaps HMRC would like to demonstrate this concept by telling us how much extra tax that is not require by law they have paid?

I'll probably have to wait as long as I have to wait for my case to be heard at the commssionaires to get an answer to that one. So that's five years and counting.....
                  There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Well, well, well. Got an acknowledgement from Ben Wallace's office to the letter sent via the 'Write to them' website with a promise to look into it!

Surprising though, no response to the one sent to his email address. Wonder if my email addresses are being directed to his junk mail folder!
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I was also shocked to agree with Mr Milliband when he remarked on the radio that its not for the government to judge but to ensure that, wait for it:

"Policy is in place to protect against such avoidance".

Totally agree and I get the impression, maybe misguidedly that he may know something about our case and is lining the Gauke up for a proper kicking!!! fingers crossed!!

Comment

Working...
                      X