• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
    Bar for S58 / DOTAS related matters I don't think I'm going to become a tweeter, lol. But what I was trying to say was should we come up with a few (short) hashtags that plant a label on Gauke / HMRC. The Government / HMRC have worked is to stick a label on us. Should we use a set of tags going forward that calls that label into question and causes pause for thought? We've been labelled tax cheats - #taxcheats if you like. But Gauke is doing a fair bit of cheating with the facts, and maybe a consistent set of tags could point people in the right direction. #FinanceBill2014 worked well for yesterday, but it's not going to interest the casual observer.

I'd be the first to admit, I have no idea if it's a sensible idea or not. I avoid social media like the plague normally. So I'll be quiet now.
    Maybe not the best idea to discuss strategy on a public forum (the eye of Sauron is watching),but generally you are correct.

BeenGauked is definitely onto something with his memes. "Destroy the image, and you destroy the enemy",said someone wise (I think it was Bruce Lee or something). Ridicule can be a very powerful weapon.

We cannot do too much on the legal front due to lack of financial firepower, but we can do act other ways and create quite a bit of embarrassing, annoying rattle. Every guerilla will teach you that you can inflict damage even with limited means. Social media is the infrastructure for this (I also despise it generally, but it's important to acknowledge what can be of use)

What they want of us is to feel shell shocked, depressed, and... to keep fu*king quiet!

There is no reason at all for us to gently comply with that wish.

www.dotas-scandal.org
    Last edited by DotasScandal; 18 June 2014, 19:10.
    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
      65,000 cases and only 338 signatures!

Where is everyone?

I was planning in showing this to my MP but with that number he'll surely laugh me out his office.

Anybody else fancy singing and sharing to boost the numbers?

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...-retrospective
      Done.
      Beer
      is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Bar for S58 / DOTAS related matters I don't think I'm going to become a tweeter, lol. But what I was trying to say was should we come up with a few (short) hashtags that plant a label on Gauke / HMRC. The Government / HMRC have worked is to stick a label on us. Should we use a set of tags going forward that calls that label into question and causes pause for thought? We've been labelled tax cheats - #taxcheats if you like. But Gauke is doing a fair bit of cheating with the facts, and maybe a consistent set of tags could point people in the right direction. #FinanceBill2014 worked well for yesterday, but it's not going to interest the casual observer.

I'd be the first to admit, I have no idea if it's a sensible idea or not. I avoid social media like the plague normally. So I'll be quiet now.
        Maybe not the best idea to discuss strategy on a public forum (the eye of Sauron is watching),but generally you are correct.

BeenGauked is definitely onto something with his memes. "Destroy the image, and you destroy the enemy",said someone wise (I think it was Bruce Lee or something). Ridicule can be a very powerful weapon.

We cannot do too much on the legal front due to lack of financial firepower, but we can do act other ways and create quite a bit of embarrassing, annoying rattle. Every guerilla will teach you that you can inflict damage even with limited means. Social media is the infrastructure for this (I also despise it generally, but it's important to acknowledge what can be of use)

What they want of us is to feel shell shocked, depressed, and... to keep fu*king quiet!

There is no reason at all for us to gently comply with that wish.

www.dotas-scandal.org
        Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by Coalman View Post
          Done.
          Me too. And put on facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Me too. And put on facebook.
            I've tweeted link.
            Beer
            is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Coalman View Post
              I've tweeted link.
              I went and shoved a copy down my MP's throat.....

Comment

Looks like Ian Swales @iswales is looking for info on how people "ran up such big tax bills":

https://twitter.com/iswales
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                  Looks like Ian Swales @iswales is looking for info on how people "ran up such big tax bills":

https://twitter.com/iswales
                  I did not run up a big tax bill. It was forced on me retrospectively.

Comment

If anyone wants to strike up a conversation on Twitter with other MPs who were in the Finance Bill discussion, here is the text in full, with everything that was said:

http://www.publications.parliament.u.../140617s01.htm

House of Commons Public Bill Committee : Finance Bill (17 June 2014)

The other MPs, besides Swales and Elphick have been let off the hook far too easily. Thee were also some supportive MPs if I remember rightly.
                    Last edited by SantaClaus; 18 June 2014, 20:06.
                    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Realtaxavoiders

I heard that Gauke thinks he's going to make more than £20 out of us. But I think he's wrong.

On a slightly more serious point, and being very impressed by the Twitter campaign, should we be setting set tags? I was thinking that this Government's approach has always been to stick a label on marginalised groups and then use it to hammer them. Should we use something that calls this into question, e.g. #WHOISTHEREALTAXCHEAT or something? I would be the first to admit, I know nothing about Twitter or hash tagging but we should start sticking labels on them. Any of you tweeters have any advice?
                      TAXAVOIDERS or (REALTAXAVOIDERS - bit long though) or TAXINJUSTICE. Directed to HMRC/Govmt/BigCorp and lets not forget the evaders that use the Crown jurisdictions and that is fine 23Trillion in Cayman Islands.

As for BananaRepublic - unfortunately Britain isn't a Republic so still paying for lavish holidays for kissing cousins Will & Kate and funding the biggest welfare family - the Royals. Where Charles pays 0 on 700M+ business - the Duchy.

Comment

Working...
                      X