• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fireship View Post
    I had exactly the same response from my MP, yet another standard response being handed down from above!! Makes you wonder what these people are paid for!!
    You might want to NOT take this pre-packed BS for an answer. At the end of the day, they work for US - and they need to be reminded of that on a regular basis....

Politely but firmly debunk the arguments.

(If need be, mention that there is a general election coming in less than a year, and that you will be voting... Nothing worse for a career politician than the thought they might lose a comfy seat...)

www.dotas-scandal.org
    Last edited by DotasScandal; 8 June 2014, 22:46.
    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
      You might want to NOT take this pre-packed BS for an answer. At the end of the day, they work for US - and they need to be reminded of that on a regular basis....

(If need be, mention that there is a general election coming in less than a year, and that you will be voting... Nothing worse for a career politician than the thought they might lose a comfy seat...)

www.dotas-scandal.org
      2 people when you have a majority of 5000 isn't something many MPs care about...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post

www.dotas-scandal.org
        As I've said before, and DotasScandal too, the best thing is to see your MP in person. Much harder for them to BS when you're sitting in front of them.
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          2 people when you have a majority of 5000 isn't something many MPs care about...
          Eek, you might well be right, but you add zero value to this forum. It's getting very tedious.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
            Eek, you might well be right, but you add zero value to this forum. It's getting very tedious.
            You clearly don't get the reason why I post here then. You don't just say that you will be voting against him you should be saying that without immediate help you will be actively working against his re-election emphasising to everyone how he did not help you...

It's one thing to say you will vote against him (big wow). Its another to say that as I will be bankrupt and hence unemployable next April I hope you will understand why I'm happy to spend that entire month actively campaigning against your re-election by telling people how you caused me to become bankrupt. And that would but the fear of God into many Conservative MPs...
            Last edited by eek; 9 June 2014, 06:33.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              You clearly don't get the reason why I post here then. You don't just say that you will be voting against him you state that without the help you will be actively working against his re-election emphasising to everyone how he did not help you...

It's one thing to say you will vote against him (big wow). Its another to say that as I will be bankrupt and unemployed next April I hope you will understand why I'm happy to spend that entire month telling people how you caused me to become bankrupt.
              You post here because you are a troll, plain and simple.

If you read the forum above, I didn't make any of those comments about voting against an MP. It would be foolhardy to think a threat to an MP would get them to change their mind.

All I am doing is asking people to see their MP's in person and explain the facts. There are 65,000 people affected by APNs and 3000 affected by Section 58. If they all beat a path to their MP's door, it would make them sit up and think. That is if you still believe this country is still run as a democracy.

I have spent 100's of hours of my own time on this campaign and the other members of the steering group have spent 1000's of hours. It isn't too much to ask people to do the above.

Negative comments such as yours are counter-productive to our campaign and don't help one bit. What have you done to help us?

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                You post here because you are a troll, plain and simple.

If you read the forum above, I didn't make any of those comments about voting against an MP. It would be foolhardy to think a threat to an MP would get them to change their mind.

All I am doing is asking people to see their MP's in person and explain the facts. There are 65,000 people affected by APNs and 3000 affected by Section 58. If they all beat a path to their MP's door, it would make them sit up and think. That is if you still believe this country is still run as a democracy.

I have spent 100's of hours of my own time on this campaign and the other members of the steering group have spent 1000's of hours. It isn't too much to ask people to do the above.

Negative comments such as yours are counter-productive to our campaign and don't help one bit. What have you done to help us?
                More than you would think as I've actually discussed it with 3 MPs (all friends).. and because they are friends they actually listened and understand the initial cause and actual issues... BUT that is why I'm so pessimistic, even when they understand the issues they know APNs are inevitable as voting against them is potentially political suicide.

Which is why I've been trying to emphasis that its essential for people to do things now while its out of sight in committee..
                Last edited by eek; 9 June 2014, 07:02.

Comment

Here's a question: is this still likely to be rumbling on when the general election comes? If so have you lot considered whether voting the Tories out would be beneficial, purely to replace Gauke?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Group meetings

Wondering if there is mileage in groups of us requesting time with our MPs?

Whenever I visit mine he tends to make things rather quick and not very helpful.

However, if there are a number of us he may actually take the time to answer our concerns.

Comment

Why are we IT workers singled out for IR35?

BBC News - Small Data: Can you do construction work from home?

Comment

Working...
                      X