• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
    ...The suspense is killing me
    I recon it's going to be "HMRC have agreed the take all our CN's and pay the amount supposedly owed back to us as compensation for f@cking up the last 10 years of our life"

Comment

Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post
      I recon it's going to be "HMRC have agreed the take all our CN's and pay the amount supposedly owed back to us as compensation for f@cking up the last 10 years of our life"
      Oh please, p-l-e-a-s-e, oink oink!
      http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
        ...The suspense is killing me
        TC, I've seen the tweet on the NTRT website. I can confirm that nobody "on the inside track" knows anything about any big news anytime soon.

If there is some big news coming, I don't know what it is and nor do the Group behind the campaign.

Let's not get excited about something that is as far as is known - a non story.

Good weekend all.

Comment

Meeting your MP

Originally posted by foolishboy View Post
          Am off to meet my MP at 16:30 who is a prominent Cabinet Minister so I am not exactly expecting his full co-operation!

However the main thrust of my argument is going to be the Conservatives postion whilst in opposition and in particular David Gauke's continual denial to do anything but rebut our questions since he joined the Treasury.

Specifically I want him to support me in getting Mr Gauke to acknowledge our position and review our argument. Given that their position was so crystal clear whilst in opposition I am not going to accept being fobbed off with "the times have changed"

Now where did I put my suit of armour and war hammer.........
          I met my Tory MP this afternoon.

He read through the Gauke Hansard transcript and said it was quite clear that this was retrospective legislation and that rather than trying to be judge and jury in thier own case HMRC should have taken the matter to the Tax Court before trying to get retrospective legislation through parliament.

He said that with such a Labour majority S58 would have just been voted through by the party faithful wihthut any thought of the real background or consideration to the strenght of argument against it.

He was very interesed in the Cameron letter to one of his constituents which said he was opposd to the retrospective legislation. To quote his words "Cameron is banged to rights on this one”

He is going to spaek to Gauke and wont accept the standard boiler letter as a repsonse. He is also going to speak to other influentail colleagues to see about building up support.

Anyone who has seen their MP needs to make sure they have either filled in the comments box on the memebers section of the NTRT website or if they are not members to PM DR so he knows which MP has been contacted and their response so that Whitehouse can follow up with more info later.

Comment

Originally posted by seadog View Post

He read through the Gauke Hansard transcript and said it was quite clear that this was retrospective legislation and that rather than trying to be judge and jury in thier own case HMRC should have taken the matter to the Tax Court before trying to get retrospective legislation through parliament.

He said that with such a Labour majority S58 would have just been voted through by the party faithful wihthut any thought of the real background or consideration to the strenght of argument against it.

He was very interesed in the Cameron letter to one of his constituents which said he was opposd to the retrospective legislation. To quote his words "Cameron is banged to rights on this one”

He is going to spaek to Gauke and wont accept the standard boiler letter as a repsonse. He is also going to speak to other influentail colleagues to see about building up support.

Anyone who has seen their MP needs to make sure they have either filled in the comments box on the memebers section of the NTRT website or if they are not members to PM DR so he knows which MP has been contacted and their response so that Whitehouse can follow up with more info later.
            Great news Seadog. You sense the pendulum is starting to swing. We still need more people to contact their MPs. Its like management, none of them want to make a decision on their own. If they know they have some support they will act; without it, forget it.

Fridays has become a good day - it is normal MP surgery day and today is no exception.
            Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
            "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

That's a better Friday message than the ones the Goons used to send out for us in a brownie.

Comment

CN appeal

Just received the appeal letter for my CN. Made good reading and gave me a level of confidence I've not had for a long time. Another Friday high.

Comment

Seadog

Thats v encouraging news Seadog - interesting that a Tory would state that Cameron is banged to rights!
                  Join the campaign at
                  http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Morlock View Post
                    HMRC's IR35 guidance:

"We will use three risk bands:
                    - low risk
                    - medium risk
                    - high risk."

"If you are in either the ‘high risk’ band or the ‘medium risk’ band, there is a risk that we will check whether IR35 applies to you. And this risk is not low."

"‘Low risk’ means that there is a low risk that we will check whether IR35 applies to you."
                    It seems like only yesterday that Mr. Sheldon was justifying retrospective tax on the (false) grounds that scheme users were aware of the risks.

Now here's HMRC cheerfully confirming that risk is built into the very tax framework within which contractors are required to operate.

Not only that, but by banding the risk they are implicitly inviting people to gamble.

Barmy!

Comment

MP meeting

Have been invited to meet my Conservative MP at Westminster following sending docs from NTRT as reply to the Gauke boilerplate reply. I am going to arrange to go with Whitehouse rep if possible - have emailled them. May try to meet LibDem MP on same day if possible.
                      Do we have a list of supportive MPs on the NTRT site so that we can pass this on to any new ones we meet? Or will Whitehouse know that info?
                      I've updated the NTRT website with details of my MPs and the current status.

The Cat is fighting back, and we all know cats fight well......
                      The Cat

Comment

Working...
                      X