• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BarneyCool View Post
    I've not got the fax no to hand but you can give them a call on 0161 831 6440
    Thanks for that, and thanks to everyone who sent me PMs as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
      I agree. It makes me mad !

Guess what ? End clients dont want to employ me directly... so they can get rid of me when the work is finished and I can help someone else out. I choose to accept that risk as part of my business model but it provides many different challenges to being employed directly (similar to other small businesses) so why should I be punished ?
      What I dont get is why Banks etc can't take on people who are self-employed or sole traders - I would go down that route if it was an option for me - these guys seem to have a much easier ride.

I would prefer not to be forced into having my own company, having to pay for the privilege and do all the paperwork (accountants, indemnity insurance, corp tax etc, company returns, VAT etc.), and oh being treated like a criminal. I would love the freedom of not constantly having to look over my shoulder in case HMRC come up with some other angle of attack in the budget.

Comment

In fact I should just be a permy and so should all contractors:

- Earn less money
        - Pay less tax (higher % but less in public purse because of above)
        - Be worse off
        - Create a shortage of contractors
        - Leave companies with a shortage of skills
        - End up doing a watered down job

Everyone loses... way to go !
        I worked on a contract a while back where the IT staff were being TUPE'd. I asked what I would get and was laughed at since I was not a permie. The idea that you're some disguised employee is the tripe that a cretin makes up who never worked in the real world.

Comment

Any help gratefully received

Hi guys, I have only just discovered this thread after years of sticking my head in the sand and hoping for the best. I too am in this mess, however I am not a British citizen and left many years ago. With all of my movements, our friends at the tax office no longer have my address or know my whereabouts. years ago I received a letter from them with a disgusting number at the bottom detailing how much I owed, about the same value as my house! I am still receiving updates from MP, but as Inland Rev don't know where I am, I haven't had any contact from them in a long time. I really need to understand my position and options, eg tell inland Rev where I am, continue ignoring the issue etc, so am hoping that someone can suggest an international tax lawyer. I don't know how easily they can follow up if I am out of the UK and don't return.

Comment

Contract or Permie?

In fact I should just be a permy and so should all contractors:

- Earn less money
            - Pay less tax (higher % but less in public purse because of above)
            - Be worse off
            - Create a shortage of contractors
            - Leave companies with a shortage of skills
            - End up doing a watered down job

Everyone loses... way to go !

There are a lot of contractors used in the energy business (ie oil & gas) - why - because oil companies and oil service companies use & get rid of people as and when required to suit an ever-changing workload. It makes it easy for them as no hire & fire with all the legislation bullsh!t that goes with it. One month notice if you're lucky.

Does that mean the contractors have any additional risk over a staffie - damn right it does - immediate cannon fodder when cut-backs are announced or a project ends.

Plus, as a contractor, you're only as good as your last job - make a mistake and no-one wants to know you. As a staffie - slap on the wrist and get some additional training at someone elses expense.

If the 'new IR35' makes the current contractor-energy company association unworkable (ie staffies only), then watch out for more price hikes in fuel costs, delayed oil & gas production, reduced tax against those energy companies, etc etc - sounds like a great plan to help get UK PLC out of the sh!thole it's currently in.

Do contractors have built-in risks with being a contractor compared to staffies - you bet they do - every day!!

Comment

Thanks to everyone!

I am affected like most here and I just wanted to say a big thanks to DR, TSBT and others for the diligence, focus and tenacity you have all shown in fighting our corner over the last few years.

I have been a lurker for far too long and have hit the point where I can no longer sit on the side line and watch this unfold without getting involved in the fight
              Your campaign needs you! Take action and join NoToRetroTax now!

Comment

Originally posted by Royston View Post
                Hi guys, I have only just discovered this thread after years of sticking my head in the sand and hoping for the best. I too am in this mess, however I am not a British citizen and left many years ago. With all of my movements, our friends at the tax office no longer have my address or know my whereabouts. years ago I received a letter from them with a disgusting number at the bottom detailing how much I owed, about the same value as my house! I am still receiving updates from MP, but as Inland Rev don't know where I am, I haven't had any contact from them in a long time. I really need to understand my position and options, eg tell inland Rev where I am, continue ignoring the issue etc, so am hoping that someone can suggest an international tax lawyer. I don't know how easily they can follow up if I am out of the UK and don't return.
                Personally I would tell them nothing. And I would not post here again. I presume you have no assets in the UK - if I did I would move them away.

And I am very very jealous of you!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Personally I would tell them nothing. And I would not post here again. I presume you have no assets in the UK - if I did I would move them away.

Depending on where you live the UK Government do have agreements in place with lots of Countries to allow UK taxes to be collected. That would include repossessing any assets you hold.

I'd go with BP though....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

I agree with Brillo.
                    And I too am jealous. Unless you're in Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by justabloke View Post
                      I am affected like most here and I just wanted to say a big thanks to DR, TSBT and others for the diligence, focus and tenacity you have all shown in fighting our corner over the last few years.

I have been a lurker for far too long and have hit the point where I can no longer sit on the side line and watch this unfold without getting involved in the fight
                      Welcome! An important first step. "We're all in this together" is a phrase mocked except when applied to us. One of the most valuable things you can contribute is to engage with your MP. Not just a letter but go see them. The campaign website is a serious rally point loaded with good information. HMRC seemed to have us on the back foot for a while, but not now.

Comment

Working...
                      X