• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    We now have a lot of members but there are many who haven't joined.

The question I keep asking myself is why?

Is it the minimum £200 which is putting people off? Or something else?

Can anyone shed any light on this?
    DR

Is the campaign fund requiring a boost? I've already joined and paid in excess of the minimum, but would be more than happy to donate more (on a monthly basis if necessary). Seeing what has been achieved to date by NTRT and Whitehouse has convinced me that it would be money well spent. Please advise.

Comment

Same here, probably won't pay monthly but happy to chip more in when necessary.

Regards
      Fred

Comment

Personally, it's because HMRC are trying to screw me over for Stamp Duty (without foundation) as well as this and I need the cash for lawyers. Expecting a resolution on that fairly soon and if it's positive I'll be putting in more than the minimum.

I'm *sure* the two investigations aren't connected. Utter Canutes.

Comment

Can you join without donating?

DR, I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know there will always be people who rely on others to sort out their problems, and will keep their head burred deeply in the sand.

Maybe we should make the membership free and let people donate what they want.

If and when NTRT needs more funds, i'm sure everyone who has donated so far will be more than happy to contribute again!

Comment

Hands up. I haven't paid. I was away when the site launched and late as always....

By that time i think someone on the forum had asked if enough had been donated and received a response along the lines of ' if you'd asked that last week....... '.

...so I decided to wait until the next fund raising push to donate, I was skint at the time !

Are we now there ? More funds required ? Personally a way of spreading the cost would be useful. ie standing order etc.

I've still been able to write to my MP ( twice ) using information on this forum without access to the members area.

Comment

It isn't just a question of money.

We want as big an army as we can muster.

Also, there are a lot of people lurking here who are writing to their MPs but Whitehouse have no visibility of this or control over the content of letters.

I'm getting the sense that the £200 is an issue.

How would existing members feel if we reduced this?

Comment

Also, there are a lot of people lurking here who are writing to their MPs but Whitehouse have no visibility of this or control over the content of letters.

Personally I would be fine. As you know, getting the £200 together was very tough for me. I am totally skint. I was determined to donate to show solidarity.

But the main thing is we all stick together.

Comment

What about not setting a minimum, but instead suggest a minimum of £200 or what ever people can afford it.

The world has changed a lot since we were all on this scheme and I would imagine a lot of people on here (including me) are not as rich as HMRC would have MPs believe.

In fact, this is something I said to my MP when I saw him as I felt we needed to stress that just because someone paid less tax for a few years it doesnt suddenly make them rich or mean they have a big pot of cash under the bed that can be used to pay future tax demands. It just doesnt work like that.

Comment

I can appreciate not everyone is in the position of having lots of spare cash and I for one wouldn't have a problem if this is reduced to "what you can afford".

The more members the better!
                    Last edited by nevergiveup; 29 June 2012, 09:57. Reason: usual cr@p grammer

Comment

Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post
                      I do know there will always be people who rely on others to sort out their problems, and will keep their head burred deeply in the sand.
                      I know at least 1 person in that position who I regularly prod to visit the forum/NTRT but he doesn't. I did get him to write to his MP but he got very negative response so gave up.

I think it's more the head in the sand thing than wanting a free ride off the back of our efforts/contributions. Not that I'm excusing it

Comment

Working...
                      X