• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bollox View Post
    but wasn't Jimmy Carr vilified for doing exactly this ?
    Vilified, yes. Punished......?

It was/is legal - don't ever let that that be forgotten.

Avoidance and Evasion are now being blended together. They are NOT the same.

Grip.

Comment

BBC News - Tax avoiders to get warning shot from HMRC

Do as we say and not as we do.
      SAY NO TO RETROSPECTIVE TAX

Comment

Originally posted by zippo View Post
        This s a disgrace. Hector, as well as the things you mention, tax pays your wages and those of the MPs. You write the law, if you don't like how people work within those rules, change the laws (prospectively of course) . Do not try and use guilt to cover for your failings. I read this as an admission of incompetence.

Comment

Well, it depends on what they intend to do. If HMRC are claiming that the scheme is not legal - and they intend to challenge it in the courts under existing legislation, then fair enough. Remeber that just because a scheme provider tells you that a scheme is 100% legal tax avoidance - doesn't mean it actually is.

I suppose one good thing is that at least those in the scheme will have their eyes open that it is fully on HMRC's radar.

Remember that HMRC have argued many times that BN66 users were fully aware of how risky it was - and should have set aside provisions.

Actually I wonder if that is part of the motivation for sending these letters - in preparation for future action on those schemes, given that NTRT have pulled apart that claim on BN66.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
            Well, it depends on what they intend to do. If HMRC are claiming that the scheme is not legal - and they intend to challenge it in the courts under existing legislation, then fair enough. Remeber that just because a scheme provider tells you that a scheme is 100% legal tax avoidance - doesn't mean it actually is.

I suppose one good thing is that at least those in the scheme will have their eyes open that it is fully on HMRC's radar.

Remember that HMRC have argued many times that BN66 users were fully aware of how risky it was - and should have set aside provisions.

Actually I wonder if that is part of the motivation for sending these letters - in preparation for future action on those schemes, given that NTRT have pulled apart that claim on BN66.
            Quite possibly the case.

However I see this particular approach as Hector in playground bully mode, it will cost them bog all effort and cash, a percentage of people will cough up money that arguably they don't owe and will probably never get back. Easy pickings for Hector which will make their recovery figures look prettier and make for some nice press.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
              ...Remember that HMRC have argued many times that BN66 users were fully aware of how risky it was - and should have set aside provisions.

I had pretty much the exact same thought, given that the Courts have effectively handed down a definition of what is 'proportionate' under A1P1.

So aren't HMRC, by this action, implicitly confirming that s58 is disproportionate?

Comment

Letter from my MP

My MP has written to me with a very positive letter.

He is proposing to speak to some of his colleagues involved in the previous parliament (as he was only elected in 2010) and then he is proposing write a joint letter to Gauke demanding that this is not brushed under the carpet.

Promising words - hope that he gains support from his colleagues.

I will obviously forward this letter to NTRT and Whitehouse :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Cornish Cream View Post
                  My MP has written to me with a very positive letter.

He is proposing to speak to some of his colleagues involved in the previous parliament (as he was only elected in 2010) and then he is proposing write a joint letter to Gauke demanding that this is not brushed under the carpet.

Promising words - hope that he gains support from his colleagues.

I will obviously forward this letter to NTRT and Whitehouse :-)
                  Good job!

Comment

Nothing to Fear

I've just walked past two poster boards wih adverts posted by HMRC on them. I note that HMRC PR spending wasn't mentioned as part of what taxes are spent on in the letter sent yesterday.

Apart form this, the tag line struck me:

"If you've declared your income, you've nothing to fear"

Since I FULLY DECLARED my income, and now HMRC are chasing me for many thousands of pounds 8 years later, do I have a case for taking them to the advertising standards authority?

Comment

And just to get your blood boiling, interesting article in today's Sunday Times: "HMRC consultants pay only 3.5% tax".

Basically, Accenture who undertake work for HMRC have reduced their tax bill to 3.5%. Their accounts disclose that they have paid no UK corporation tax in the previous 2 years despite more than £180M of profits.

I can't reproduce the article here due to copyright/access issues, but I think you get the general idea.
                      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X