• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT on iPads?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT on iPads?

I'm considering getting an iPad2 for my Plan B now the price dropped after iPad3 was announced. But from neither the main or business Apple store can I see VAT be listed, or a non-VAT price listed... I just see £329 for the 16Gb WiFi.

Do tablets attract a regular 20% VAT like PCs? Does Apple Store provide a proper VAT receipt or do I need to find it somewhere else?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Do tablets attract a regular 20% VAT like PCs? Does Apple Store provide a proper VAT receipt?
    It would be nice if they were VAT exempt but the answer to the first question is yes, shiny electronic gadgets that you stroke do attract VAT just like most things that you buy.

As a VAT registered business man, I know the answer to the second question is yes, it is a legal requirement to issue a VAT receipt if the customer wants one. Apple UK will automatically give you a VAT invoice if you buy stuff off them.

Uh, are these serious questions? Or is this a joke and I don't get it.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Yes, it's 20% VAT and they provide you with VAT receipt - certainly for online orders.

Comment

I'm considering getting an iPad2 for my Plan B now the price dropped after iPad3 was announced. But from neither the main or business Apple store can I see VAT be listed, or a non-VAT price listed... I just see £329 for the 16Gb WiFi.

Do tablets attract a regular 20% VAT like PCs? Does Apple Store provide a proper VAT receipt or do I need to find it somewhere else?
        Mine was a legitimate business expense as was my new touch screen, TV enabled Touchsmart. Can't get a contract without them.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Tablet

Get the ASUS Transformer Prime. Amazing tool for your business. Even comes with a keyboard for use in meetings. Amazing bit of kit. I got mine from PC World and it was delivered the next day. A bit pricey, but... "the company paid".

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Yes, it's 20% VAT and they provide you with VAT receipt - certainly for online orders.
            Thanks AtW (and others), very helpful. I'm not FRS so 20% back reduces the price from £329 to £274 which is pretty good value... then my CT is reduced too.

Originally posted by PMMan View Post
            Get the ASUS Transformer Prime. Amazing tool for your business. Even comes with a keyboard for use in meetings. Amazing bit of kit. I got mine from PC World and it was delivered the next day. A bit pricey, but... "the company paid".
            This is for a real business case (specific plan B software project), not merely to have a tablet to use at work (which I reckon is a bit dodgy, HMRC aren't mugs). In terms of business customers, many who are in California, iPad is the only sane choice (at least until we see how Windows8 tablets pan out).
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Thanks AtW (and others), very helpful. I'm not FRS so 20% back reduces the price from £329 to £274 which is pretty good value... then my CT is reduced too.

This is for a real business case (specific plan B software project), not merely to have a tablet to use at work (which I reckon is a bit dodgy, HMRC aren't mugs). In terms of business customers, many who are in California, iPad is the only sane choice (at least until we see how Windows8 tablets pan out).
              Its not dodgy at all, perfectly acceptable to have whatever device you like to take notes, access documents, publish documents etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
                Its not dodgy at all, perfectly acceptable to have whatever device you like to take notes, access documents, publish documents etc. etc.
                Which is fine but I would put money on the fact most people that have an ipad for 'work' quote these tools but never use them. I don't see one single person using an ipad in anger in our large office but I know many put them through the books.

At the end of the day I guess it doesn't matter as long as you can convince HMRC and at these costs they won't really give a damn, I just hate it when people try and justify it when there isn't any.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Which is fine but I would put money on the fact most people that have an ipad for 'work' quote these tools but never use them. I don't see one single person using an ipad in anger in our large office but I know many put them through the books.

At the end of the day I guess it doesn't matter as long as you can convince HMRC and at these costs they won't really give a damn, I just hate it when people try and justify it when there isn't any.
                  You say that but one of the permie managers at client co uses his instead of a notepad all the time. He has a number of useful apps on it and swears by it. He paid for it himself out of his own pocket.

I don't have one (at the mo) cos I can't see me using it at home, nevermind work.

Comment

If you sign up for an Apple Business Account (linky), you can order VAT exclusive items from them. Useful for those of us not on the FRS. Makes for an early VAT recovery and accounting exercise rather than any savings though.

Comment

Working...
                    X