• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT on iPads?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
    Its not dodgy at all, perfectly acceptable to have whatever device you like to take notes, access documents, publish documents etc. etc.
    Yes, if you use it only for work. 'Dodgy' refers to the fact many probably buy an iPad because they want an iPad, and find a way to justify it as a business tool, rather than needing it as a business tool.

Doesn't mean it can't be valid, but I doubt it is in most cases.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Yes, if you use it only for work.
      You are allowed mixed use for things like that but the majority of the use should be for business purposes.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        You are allowed mixed use for things like that but the majority of the use should be for business purposes.
        It's not true that the majority of the use has to be for work. What's required is that any non-work use is "incidental" and the relevant pages (which ICBA to dig out for you) on the HMRC website specifically state that provided the item is *required* for the work to be performed then the amount of home use does not affect the fact that such use is incidental.

E.g. if you are required to use an iPad to take notes in a meeting (perhaps because there is a corporate requirement to have the minutes in a particular format) then the fact that the meetings only occupy 5 minutes of the week and you spend all of your non-working hours watching DVDs on the iPad does not alter the fact that your personal use is incidental.

Boo

Comment

And it's hard to find a use case where you are required to have an Apple iPad rather than a generic PC.
          I think for the majority of us, the majority of usage would not be at work - a couple of meetings a week Vs messing about with it at home and on the train.

But regardless this isn't my concern - my usage is developing tablet apps and this requires an iPad specifically as I've established this is the tablet brand my potential customers want, so I don't have a choice to go Android.

Comment

And it's hard to find a use case where you are required to have an Apple iPad rather than a generic PC.
            strangely my current client force me to use an ipad because "I'm part fo the team" and they all use ipad. lol. especially this "team" is an engineering team and not a sales team. but hey, I'm not complaining.

got to take my hat off to whoever pull that one off (forcing everyone to use ipad whenever a client is nearby).
            Happy days every day...just keep invoicing.

Comment

They provide them to all workers the same way they do laptops/desktops then? Do you get to keep it with you 24/7? Nice perk if so.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday Blue View Post
                got to take my hat off to whoever pull that one off (forcing everyone to use ipad whenever a client is nearby).
                Look for the guy that has apple everything and and has a day off generally around release dates and comes in looking tired the day after.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

They provide them to all workers the same way they do laptops/desktops then? Do you get to keep it with you 24/7? Nice perk if so.
                  they provide them to staffy, but not to contractors like myself. it was part of the requriement to work there, lol, (i have only found out after i landed). For those who didn't want to spend the cash, they can borrow one from the office. Since at the time i was tempted by one, so i went to get one anyway. i can see some didn't want to get one, but sucked it up anyway as it was a relatively small cost to the business. (because borrowing one from office has some lengthy check-in/check-out procedures). For an office with an average age around 50, i think this place is defintiely filled with a lot of old geeky engineers.
                  Happy days every day...just keep invoicing.

Comment

Working...
                  X