• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in Geneva and Switzerland in general

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in Geneva and Switzerland in general

Greetings all, i have searched the forum for some bullet points on my personal queries.

No specific answers, so forgive me if this has been asked 100 times.

I may have the opportunity to work in Geneva for approx 12 months.

My question is on tax etc, the amount i earn in Switzerland is far over what i would earn in the UK ( i do understand it's more expensive, but i do still hope to be able to squirrel some away )

Now my questions are
    • Will i pay tax in the UK? i know i will be taxed in Switzerland
    • Will i be taxed on any money i send ' home ' to the UK?

Thank you in advance, and i hope i have been clear - apologies again if this has been answered before, but i've not seen the answers
    I will look to return home to the UK approx once a month?

Start by typing this in to google and then change the word to Switzerland for more goodies..

geneva site:forums.contractoruk.com

Lots of good discussion there. You should at the very least find the answer to your 12 months question and once you know the tax situation I am sure that you can work the second one out.

Apologies if you used this search before.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You can be tax resident in both countries. Much depends on the length of your contract, and how much time you spend in either country.

You will pay tax in CH.

If you are also resident in the UK (for tax purposes), you must fill in a tax return. You will then pay UK tax on your income, at UK rates, less what you've paid in CH.

If you are not out of the UK for a complete tax year, then you are tax resident during that year. (Unless you left with the intention of never returning). Returning to the UK for a few days per month isn't a problem, so long as your don't exceed certain limits set out in HM Revenue & Customs: Home Page

You might also be interested in English Forum Switzerland Accomodation is really hard to find in Geneva. You may have to commute. You may find it better to live in France. Which raises additional tax complication.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        You can be tax resident in both countries. Much depends on the length of your contract, and how much time you spend in either country.

You will pay tax in CH.

If you are also resident in the UK (for tax purposes), you must fill in a tax return. You will then pay UK tax on your income, at UK rates, less what you've paid in CH.

If you are not out of the UK for a complete tax year, then you are tax resident during that year. (Unless you left with the intention of never returning). Returning to the UK for a few days per month isn't a problem, so long as your don't exceed certain limits set out in HM Revenue & Customs: Home Page

You might also be interested in English Forum Switzerland Accomodation is really hard to find in Geneva. You may have to commute. You may find it better to live in France. Which raises additional tax complication.
        Thank you very much, lots of good information here.

Can you expand on ' not out for a complete year ', i will be asking my recruiter these questions later, so i apologise.

So if i earn £xxx in Switzerland, and return once a month say 1 day for 12 months. i will then pay tax in the UK ( in a tax return ) upon my final return in 12 months time?

Thats my interpretation of this

Thanks again..

Comment

I'll second what NAT said, accom. in Geneve is almost impossible to find, search the site and see other's having to live in grief-holes and even in France!

Plus tax in CH isn't as low as it seem when you factor in the obligatory Health and RAV (unemployment insurance). An I think Geneve is one the higher Cantonal taxes so make sure you're rate covers all this and the astonomical prices of anything with any service attached! Four quid a tiny pot of tea!!

And don't ask your recruiter, they;ll just lie to get you to go, take advice from an International Tax advisor.

Comment

You will pay tax in Switzerland, no choice in the matter. You will get take home approx. 65%-70%, in Geneva probably closer to 65%. You will have to pay health, pension and unemployment insurance.

If you're there longer than 6 months then even if you remain tax resident in the UK due to the double taxation treaty you pay no additional tax in the UK, though you do have to declare it. I would advise seeing an accountant clarify and getting the tax form filled out correctly to ensure the UK tax authorities don't tax it.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

This is all brilliant advice, thank you - re: the tax in Geneva, of course i know i will be paying there. I just wondered if i paid in two countries.

Thanks for clearing it up, i'll ask my accountant freind about the rest.

You've been so kind, thank you again - i appreciate it all very much

Comment

Working...
              X