• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant recommendation threads inc local requests

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But a fairly new guy isn't going to understand any of what Maslins and Jessica say so they will still take it in face value. You have to see it from a newbies perspespective. They are looking for so someone to manage their money so such low amount is going raise alarm bells, albeit wrong in some cases.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Agreed that net worth is only a minor indicator of possible problems However the two numbers that give that net worth aren't all that impressive either.

I was basically pondering where the balance point between mega-corporate business income and one-man band income actually lies in order to give us clients some level of confidence in the company that is advising us, especially given that non-accountants at perfectly at liberty to act as accountants...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Disappointed with NW

I went with NW about 1.5 years ago. Everything was very good - my accountant helped me with lots of stuff and even managed to 'carefully' employ and split shares with my partner. Apart from a couple of bugs with their Vantage site, all was more or less OK.
        The guy assigned to take care of me left about 8 months ago and from there it just went downhill. Now I have to wait for a response for at least 2-4 days, when previously it took him 2-3 hours to respond. Their responses usually ask for clarification which then postpones the answer for another couple days. The more I use their Vantage site the more rubbish it seems to me. Past dividends (before the adjustment of shares) shows incorrectly. Current accounting period gets disabled and for 2-3 days I see the accounting period that ended last year as 'CURRENT'. No way to do backups. No app. Entries got missing from the bank transaction list.

Comment

@NLUK are you suggesting a new contractor when considering accountants is likely to get a list together, download the latest statutory accounts from Companies House for each of them, review their balance sheets, and make a comparison based on this?! I imagine most will either go with the accountant their agency recommends (probably a bad idea) or go with the one a friend/colleague recommends (probably a good idea).

@Mal yeah I accept a one man band will be perceived as higher risk than a big corporate accountancy firm, especially if the one man band only started up last week and the corporate has been going for decades. Whether the big corporate provides a better service...I wonder if perhaps the opposite is true. However you can perhaps feel fairly confident the minimum requirements will get done with the corporate.

It's too late for Maslins this year, but maybe I'll delay divis where poss till just after year end next year so everyone thinks the biz has gone from high risk to really stable!

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
            @NLUK are you suggesting a new contractor when considering accountants is likely to get a list together, download the latest statutory accounts from Companies House for each of them, review their balance sheets, and make a comparison based on this?! I imagine most will either go with the accountant their agency recommends (probably a bad idea) or go with the one a friend/colleague recommends (probably a good idea).

@Mal yeah I accept a one man band will be perceived as higher risk than a big corporate accountancy firm, especially if the one man band only started up last week and the corporate has been going for decades. Whether the big corporate provides a better service...I wonder if perhaps the opposite is true. However you can perhaps feel fairly confident the minimum requirements will get done with the corporate.

It's too late for Maslins this year, but maybe I'll delay divis where poss till just after year end next year so everyone thinks the biz has gone from high risk to really stable!
            Fair enough. Although I gave up on the mega-corporate one when their service drifted from excellent down to not only miserable but also ignoring the realities on MyCo's position. All I'm saying is there has to be a middle ground between faceless sausage factory and too small to keep up with our specific marketplace (which was where my first accountant fell down many years ago...).
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Fair enough. Although I gave up on the mega-corporate one when their service drifted from excellent down to not only miserable but also ignoring the realities on MyCo's position. All I'm saying is there has to be a middle ground between faceless sausage factory and too small to keep up with our specific marketplace (which was where my first accountant fell down many years ago...).
              I’d say most of the active accountants on here hit they mark, no? Dynamo, Maslins, Jessica, dare I say it, myself, all have that balance.

Comment

Originally posted by ndl View Post
                I went with NW about 1.5 years ago. Everything was very good - my accountant helped me with lots of stuff and even managed to 'carefully' employ and split shares with my partner. Apart from a couple of bugs with their Vantage site, all was more or less OK.
                The guy assigned to take care of me left about 8 months ago and from there it just went downhill. Now I have to wait for a response for at least 2-4 days, when previously it took him 2-3 hours to respond. Their responses usually ask for clarification which then postpones the answer for another couple days. The more I use their Vantage site the more rubbish it seems to me. Past dividends (before the adjustment of shares) shows incorrectly. Current accounting period gets disabled and for 2-3 days I see the accounting period that ended last year as 'CURRENT'. No way to do backups. No app. Entries got missing from the bank transaction list.
                #metoo

As soon as my accountant left for the second time the service went downhill. I escalated my concerns which fell upon death ears so I left and it’s the best decision I ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by ndl View Post
                  Try an accountant with FreeAgent, will be a revelation!
                  Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

I can recommend propitious consulting always been very helpful and cheaper than my last accountants, know of a few contractors who use them and are happy.
                    Last edited by Contractor UK; 27 April 2018, 08:17.

Comment

Originally posted by DolanAccountancyJames View Post
                      Try an accountant with FreeAgent, will be a revelation!
                      Couldn’t agree more

Comment

Working...
                      X