• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accountant recommendation threads inc local requests

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cymroz View Post
    Hi guys,
    new to the forum... great info so thanks in advance.

I've read the post and reviewed most of those recommended by those with 'street cred' on this forum and have the following question.

Do all of these accounting packages cover 2 directors or do they need to specifically state that in the info pages? I will call those that interest me but thought others may be able to recommend from 1st hand use.

Front runners are:
    1st Online and Gorilla at this stage. Also interested in BI.

Cheers
    I can't see anything in Freeagent that wold not cover two directors. Perhaps ask one of your preferred accountants?

And don't ignore Dynamo, who are regular posters on here (including one a couple of posts earlier...)
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Wifey is set up as a user on mine, albeit not as a director. It even lets me do her self assessment calcs.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
        Wifey is set up as a user on mine, albeit not as a director. It even lets me do her self assessment calcs.
        Only if she has no other source of income.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

FreeAgent instead of accountant

Hi,

Does anyone use FreeAgent only?
          It seems to be pretty easy to use and my accountant seems to do the odd bit here and there, but FreeAgent looks like it makes it so easy for them!

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems unnecessary to pay over £100/month for an account, when FreeAgent is available for £29/month.

Any thoughts on this as an option?

Comment

Originally posted by snew View Post
            Hi,

It seems to be pretty easy to use and my accountant seems to do the odd bit here and there, but FreeAgent looks like it makes it so easy for them!

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems unnecessary to pay over £100/month for an account, when FreeAgent is available for £29/month.

yes.
            Move to NatWest and get Freeagent for free.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Hi,

It's terrible. HTH
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi,

I might be a little bias here, but FreeAgent does not replace an accountant. Like any software it's only as good as the data being input.

Also you will not receive any personalised tax planning etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  Only if she has no other source of income.
                  Really? https://ibb.co/jyMYW6

Comment

Currently paying £192 with SJD, very new to contracting world but it does feel like I do most things so question how much I need an accountant.

Trying to deliberate if to go FreeAgent to save quite a decent amount of money or just for a cheaper accountant like Gorillas which will set me back £89+VAT.

As day rate contractors, how much does it really help having a dedicated accountant - seeing as our operations are somewhat simple.

Saying that I’ve been contracting 3 months so I might be missing something.

Comment

Originally posted by 1manshow View Post
                      Currently paying £192 with SJD, very new to contracting world but it does feel like I do most things so question how much I need an accountant.

Trying to deliberate if to go FreeAgent to save quite a decent amount of money or just for a cheaper accountant like Gorillas which will set me back £89+VAT.

As day rate contractors, how much does it really help having a dedicated accountant - seeing as our operations are somewhat simple.

Saying that I’ve been contracting 3 months so I might be missing something.
                      They are somewhat simple... until they become complicated and that's when your outlay on an accountant pays for itself. How do you know if they are simple if you've only been going 3 months BTW? At the very least run it for a year+ so you get each of the yearly events out the way like Company Tax and SA and associated questions like claiming for xmas lunches.

Are you 100% au fair with the 24 month rule, allowable expenses, doing VAT, directors loans?
                      89+VAT really isn't going to break the bank.

Stay with an accountant but get a FA one.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X