• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    If you think the divorce scenario is bad, there's worse.

I heard of a chap in the scheme who died a couple of years before BN66.

His estate was distributed to his beneficiaries. I think they even had to pay inheritance tax.

If we lose, HMRC will be chasing the beneficiaries for the debt.

The poor guy has been dead 5 years but interest is still accruing.
    That is just so unjust and wrong.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Didn't realise many more people have been affect similar to me :-(

For the moment the other side (via the court) wants to know all the info on the trust (which I do not own!) and more importantly ALL the money that went in and came out to me since I joined the scheme.

Amazing thing is that a year after I joined the scheme we separated and I carried on with the scheme for next 4 yrs. But now she has her eyes on the whole lot!

So many unfair worlds out there!

Any comments/ideas? (here or via PM would be welcome, please)

Comment

Originally posted by marcuss View Post
        For the moment the other side (via the court) wants to know all the info on the trust (which I do not own!) and more importantly ALL the money that went in and came out to me since I joined the scheme.
        Surely it's irrelevant how much went in and came out. The only thing that matters is what assets you have now.

But now she has her eyes on the whole lot!
        You need to drum it into your lawyer that there is a massive potential liability due to HMRC. Make sure he/she is aware of the total amount of income tax, national insurance and interest you may have to repay.

Ask HMRC for a statement of what they think you owe (including interest). Any divorce settlement needs to ring fence this amount.

Don't get screwed by the Ex as well as HMRC !!!

Comment

Tags

How does one remove a tag from a thread? Or find out who put one on?

I do pay my bloody tax and a hell of a lot of it.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
            Don't get screwed by the Ex as well as HMRC !!!
            Trying my best but I have no control over that - b***dy law says even after 2 yrs of marriage she can take all/most of your life earnings/savings (but wont take liabilities)!

Comment

Dave Hartnet on BBC Parliment being grilled at the moment

Available on iPlayer now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...oms_Committee/

The first bit with HMRC's top silk is priceless!
              Last edited by portseven; 27 December 2011, 18:20.
              Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

How is he not up for a charge of perjury?

Originally posted by portseven View Post

Available on iPlayer now

BBC iPlayer - Select Committees: HM Revenue and Customs Committee

Jeez how is this guy not on charges of perjuring himself. The committee even had to take the unusual step of making him testify under oath and he still refused to answer any questions.

From his statements it is easy to see how HMRC completely muddle policy with statute and they appear to be the same thing in their mind. And this is from the guy who is chief council. In their view they are answerable to no one but themselves and they are also the definer the 'law' which appears they can interpret however they want to.

Classic departmental cover up.

Comment

Available on iPlayer now

Interesting. Admitted under oath - top 4 lawyers at HMRC NOT tax experts
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Dave Hartnet on BBC Parliament being grilled at the moment

Available on iPlayer now

Un-friggin-believable! He doesn't believe that HMRC should answer to PAC
                    Ninja

'Salad is a dish best served cold'

Comment

Available on iPlayer now

Unbelievable. They're accountable to no-one. That guy at the start even seemed taken aback by being asked. It just reeks of corruption and power gone mad.

Comment

Working...
                      X