• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I have no idea. But MP will fight every step of the way.

They consider 3 months to be the blink of an eye. They will take their time and give us the best advice.
    Hi, appreciate the response but I don't share your optimism on MP being able to offer anything further. However will wait for their letter, then probably throw in the towel

Comment

Now the legal process has run its course in the courts, is it time to do a PR campaign?

Sure we could get someone to spin this so we can deflect some of the anti-non-paye fever that is currently gripping the nation
      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by nick4notax View Post
        I've already written to my supposedly once sympathetic MP on this very issue, citing their opposition to S58's retrospectivity aspect. Wouldn't hurt if we all sent a new email to them (writetothem.com)
        I have written to my MP too. Don't know if they were sympathetic or not but I think it is worth everyone writing, email and/or post. It really can't do any harm...

Haven't heard anything back.
        Last edited by TalkingCheese; 20 February 2012, 19:24. Reason: Haven't heard...
        http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by ContractIn View Post
          Hi, appreciate the response but I don't share your optimism on MP being able to offer anything further. However will wait for their letter, then probably throw in the towel
          By throw in the towel I assume you mean get a CTD?

I have no idea if MP can offer anything more or not - I just want to hear what they say.

Comment

By throw in the towel I assume you mean get a CTD?

I have no idea if MP can offer anything more or not - I just want to hear what they say.
            Too late to get a ctd. I will pay up if MP offer no alternative. My best hope is that MP try and negotiate a deal similar to what I've read on here about suo moto or whatever it was called!

Comment

Originally posted by ContractIn View Post
              Too late to get a ctd. I will pay up if MP offer no alternative. My best hope is that MP try and negotiate a deal similar to what I've read on here about suo moto or whatever it was called!
              Don't pay until MP say to do so. If you want to throw in the towel, just get a ctd. If there is some way out you will never see the money back from HMRC if you have paid.

Comment

Don't pay until MP say to do so. If you want to throw in the towel, just get a ctd. If there is some way out you will never see the money back from HMRC if you have paid.
                Absolutely. Only pay at 23:59:59, and thats assuming you have the cash to pay the bu**ers.
                Join the campaign at
                http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Thoughtful journalists, retrospection and ridicule

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                  Now the legal process has run its course in the courts, is it time to do a PR campaign?

Sure we could get someone to spin this so we can deflect some of the anti-non-paye fever that is currently gripping the nation
                  A definite but modified yes from me.

No idea / no law - even good ones - can survive a)the collective power of individuals and/or b) ridicule.

Each of us writing to our own favourite journalists about the simple unfairness of retrospection and the unfairness of the way we have been treated might yet have the desired effect.

I will be writing to my own favourite writers this week depending on what the letter from MP says.

As for ridicule, we've already got Kafkaesque waiting, Gilbert and Sullivan topsy turvydom and paradoxes, HG Wells, Dr Who, a judge who seemingly points out, but critically, that we did something which was legal (to use the vernacular, "No s**t, Sherlock!") and just to give my point, ehm, .....clarity, there is also Lewis Carroll's wonderful, "When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less."

Any serious journalist, sub-editor, cartoonist, satirist, blogger etc would have an absolute field day.

Nearly forgot Dickens: If the law supposes that,” said Mr. Bumble,… “the law is a ass—a idiot."

So why only a modified yes? Each of us contacting our own list of writers independently I think is a great idea but - and I'm only thinking aloud here so absolutely no offence - I'm not so immediately struck on the idea of a traditional PR campaign unless, say, it could be organised in tandem with the run up to the introduction of BN66 in 2008.

Comment

...and maybe scriptwriter.

Originally posted by jeanvaljean View Post
                    Any serious journalist, sub-editor, cartoonist, satirist, blogger etc would have an absolute field day.
                    I've often thought the exact same thing.

This isn't meant to convey the slightest atom of insensitivity to all those who've suffered the nightmare horror of BN66, but I secretly hope there's a scriptwriter out there who can use this material to savagely satirize those dysfunctional sociopaths who brought this into being.
                    Last edited by Disgusted of Coventry; 21 February 2012, 00:02.

Comment

I would say careful what you wish for. It would be very easy for a journalist to twist that around - something like "ALthough HMRC have bodged their dealings with Vodafone and Golides, they don't always screw things up. Look how dilligently they have been at chasing down this bunch of evil tax dodgers. Bravo to them - and more of the same please".

In the current "hang a tax dodger" climate, what do you think would sell more newspapers.

At the very least, be careful who you target it to.

Comment

Working...
                      X