• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toocan View Post
    I think this was sent out in case HMRC sent out demands to arrive over Easter. They are known for doing things like that - it lets you have days to tenderise before you can consult someone who knows how to handle the situation.

Other than that the letter is a statement of fact. Talks are on-going, HMRC may send out demands and anyone can settle if they feel they want to do that.

I don't. Retrospective tax is wrong, and this bird is going to keep chirping away until the situation is made right. From my cold, dead hands....
    Amen to that !!!!!
    Lord Clyde in 1929: ‘No man is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores. The Revenue is not slow to take every advantage which is open to it under the taxing statutes for the purpose of depleting the taxpayer’s pocket. And the taxpayer is entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Revenue.’

Comment

Said my piece as well ..............

Originally posted by Dieselpower View Post
      Osborne backs Vodafone on India tax | beyondbrics | News and views on emerging markets from the Financial Times

All:

May I suggest that EVERYONE kindly clicks on the above website and writes a comment. This is a very serious and serendipitous event for us - we must capitalise on it now. When the FT sees how many readers responded, I suspect they will write again in the paper about it, and after all the FT is the world's leading financial newspaper; one of great influence.

Vodafone by the way is the FOURTH largest company in the UK. The fourth. And Osborne is supporting them against India's s58 equivalent. It's utterly disgraceful.

Thanks

DP
      Added my twopence worth as well!!

Comment

Originally posted by Toocan View Post
        I think this was sent out in case HMRC sent out demands to arrive over Easter. They are known for doing things like that - it lets you have days to tenderise before you can consult someone who knows how to handle the situation.

Other than that the letter is a statement of fact. Talks are on-going, HMRC may send out demands and anyone can settle if they feel they want to do that.

I don't. Retrospective tax is wrong, and this bird is going to keep chirping away until the situation is made right. From my cold, dead hands....
        noooo! Letter is downbeat, why on earth would Montpelier suggest paying ffs??
        Worst case is still to get a tax cert surely? Not sure why they would mention paying!

Comment

Originally posted by slogger View Post
          noooo! Letter is downbeat, why on earth would Montpelier suggest paying ffs??
          Worst case is still to get a tax cert surely? Not sure why they would mention paying!
          I think the letter was fine, it was a clear statement that the fight continues. You must have very high expectations to think it was downbeat. The comment about paying was carefully worded and the message was clear. Put yourself in their shoes and you'll realise they couldn't say it any other way.

Comment

Originally posted by travellingknob View Post
            I think the letter was fine, it was a clear statement that the fight continues. You must have very high expectations to think it was downbeat. The comment about paying was carefully worded and the message was clear. Put yourself in their shoes and you'll realise they couldn't say it any other way.
            I'd agree. The letter really said nothing new at all, i suspect it was more about letting us know we haven't been deserted. I'm happy with that.

Comment

Comment added to FT article

MP chased and chased colleague who I know is affected to write to/meet with MP with facts.

Bit of Easter catching up done.

Happy choccy egg eating.
              The Cat

Comment

Keep it up chaps

MPs e-mailed, with responses received.
                Next MP surgery is 22nd April, booked for a meet then.
                Also contacted 4 others affected, and urged them to do the same.

Keep going. I realise I'm preaching to the converted but there's clearly a change in the wind, despite some of the dodgy types here from HMRC and those leaking MTM details. Assholes.

The clear and consistent message is - we're not saying we'll pay nothing. We're saying we want a far trial at the tax courts with the laws at the time.

Comment

Anyone here got Gauke as their MP?

The reason I ask is because I am sure his Labour adversary Harry Mann would love to know about all this. But it can only come from a constituent.....

Here is is his email address:
                  [email protected]
                  Join the campaign at
                  http://notoretrotax.org.uk

Comment

Intresting interview Mr Osbourn defending use of reto tax in the UK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...MVJHS2q6s&NR=1

It seems is ok for the UK to use Retro tax but not India

near the end of this video he gets asked about use of retospective tax use in the uk
                    Last edited by Samatra; 9 April 2012, 15:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Samatra View Post
                      UK apos;s Osborne says India should have predictable tax system - YouTube

It seems is ok for the UK to use Retro tax but not India

near the end of this video he gets asked about use of retospective tax use in the uk
                      Typical politician, from around 4min 43 secs, he manages to completely avoid the question and pin it on India.
                      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X