• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Upton Accountants - more info

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by contractpm View Post
    In my case he filed accounts that said I owed £120! I paid the proper amount and he took the overpayment. When I spoke to HMRC in may, they led me to believe I had met my obligations and would be ok ... Did they tell you otherwise?
    Not sure I follow you, do you mean he took circa 16k out of the system that you really owed and HMRC dont want the proper return filing?

i.e 16k paid in, 0.120k liability submitted, 15.88k to Darren

HMRC don't want the proper accounts with a 16k liability filing they have just wrote it off? Or they don't know it's owed?
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 9 February 2012, 23:46.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
      I thought that too. 800 clients is generating at least £400k profits I'd have thought. But if £400k is coming in and £401k is going out then you're still skint. Ask Mr Micawber.
      He had 800 clients paying £60 per month, so £720 a year.

£720 x 800 = £576K so I cannot see that he would have made £400K profits.

He certainly could have managed the £10K per month that the FSA wanted from him but I think I read he only made a few payments.

I feel sorry for his family, but I assume his wife new that the payments were not being made, wasn't she a director? I seem to recall that she is a director of the phoenix, Freedom Accountancy.
      "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
        I feel sorry for his family, but I assume his wife new that the payments were not being made, wasn't she a director? I seem to recall that she is a director of the phoenix, Freedom Accountancy.
        She was indeed an officer (either director or co sec) of both the Upton Accountant companies, and also 1st Accountancy before that, and many other companies (over 40 in total). If she really didn't know what was going on, then at the very least she breached her duties as a director and could/should be prosecuted under Company Law. I just don't buy this "innocent wife" impression.
        Last edited by philip@wellwoodhoyle; 10 February 2012, 10:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Ok, now can we slag him off?
          OK. what a con man. I am glad I ditched his firm. He lied to me for months, and I had to switch at last minute to file return with another firm.

Comment

Please note that posts of a more general nature have been moved here: http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...n-6-years.html
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Freedom Accountancy?

Has anyone noticed Freedom don't appear to be replying to emails? Maybe they have been inundated with clients wishing to leave? Or maybe the stress has been too much for Tina and she has taken some leave? Personally I thought she was pretty straight but she must have had an idea what was going on?

Wish they didn't have such a naff name; impossible to do a search on the forum and find anything related...

Maybe its time to start a Freedom Accountancy thread?

Comment

Originally posted by backagain View Post
                Has anyone noticed Freedom don't appear to be replying to emails? Maybe they have been inundated with clients wishing to leave? Or maybe the stress has been too much for Tina and she has taken some leave? Personally I thought she was pretty straight but she must have had an idea what was going on?

Wish they didn't have such a naff name; impossible to do a search on the forum and find anything related...

Maybe its time to start a Freedom Accountancy thread?

Seriously, just

Never in the history of CUK has that smilie been more apt.

Comment

Actually been away doing something much more interesting than work, hence the handle. I think thats what you meant? I can also report that its extremely hot and nice where I am Shame the swimming pool pump is broke but thats in hand...

So shall we start a Freedom Accountancy thread to post issues post Upton-gate? Personally I am moving accountants but would like them to prepare accounts for the current year since I already paid them for that.

I checked companies house and they are still in business...

Comment

I am amazed that some people get so many signals and yet they still ignore them.

Whether you have paid for a service or not, you have just got to cut your losses and move on, if you stick around then please don't post on here when it goes tits up.
                    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Have people got nothing to do with their (paid for by clients) time than sit on forums like this slagging off others?

Nothing has gone tits up for me and everything I asked Freedom to do has been done (including my accounts for last year). However since Darren Uptons actions have now been made public I do not wish to be associated with people that have committed fraud. Thus I move on.

Has anyone else got a problem with this, or should I await the barrage of childish, snide remarks, which add no value whatsoever?

Personally myself I prefer to share information and keep things civil. As I said before I havnt got an axe to grind; business is business.

Comment

Working...
                      X