• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using client's logo on a CV/webpage/portfolio?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using client's logo on a CV/webpage/portfolio?

Hi.

I am building a little 'business card' website with a portfolio and I want to put the client's logo there, I have various cases:
    one company is out of business
    one company I already have permission from
    one company is so big I have no idea who to get permission from

In general do I need such a permission or do I just need to remove if I receive such a request?

I think it is copyright infringement. I have only known one company to take action (Harley Davidson) and ask for logo's to be removed from a 3rd party website. But that company is renowned for agressively protecting its corporate image.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Technically you do need permission, however the company in question is most likely to just ask you to remove it rather than any legal action, unless they think you are using their logo in some way that may harm them (e.g. making it appear that they endorse your work).

I have heard of one case where the first communications a guy had was a solicitors letter demanding 1k for unauthorised use of an image, but that was a copyrighted photo, not a company logo.
      Still Invoicing

Comment

Ask nicely and you might get permission. If it's a prestigious company, I usually ask right at the start for permission to use their name and logo as a client, most often they'll say "no" but then you have the length of the contract to negotiate. Last year I did a bit of work where they let me use their logo in return for a free presentation after the end of the contract!

They can't stop you saying as a fact that you worked for them, but they can stop you using their brand to promote yours.

Comment

And just food for thought, if the company is big enough to be of any value to your portfolio it is likely the guy that says you can use it wouldn't be the guy that writes to you informing you of pending legal action so I would be wary even if someone says yes unless he is in the legal team or owns the company.

I would stay well clear of using logo's to be honest.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            And just food for thought, if the company is big enough to be of any value to your portfolio it is likely the guy that says you can use it wouldn't be the guy that writes to you informing you of pending legal action so I would be wary even if someone says yes unless he is in the legal team or owns the company.

I would stay well clear of using logo's to be honest.
            Yep. PR team within Marketing are usually the ones who will give permission in my experience. Many huge companies keep a rights register to track image permissions given and the larger the company the more likely they'll say "no" the first time you ask.

Comment

Like I said before given the size of the companies - it could be quite a daunting process to ask and I could get a 'no.
              So really I am thinking of embedding sth from their website and removing it as soon as I hear sth. After all if my Ltd provided services for them, they can't really deny me publishing that info, can they? (I had a quick look and none of the contracts even covered that area).
              I am also thinking of embedding a bit of media straight from their websites, much like you embed a youtube clip, so that I only link to their logo, rather than host it myself, if that helps with anything?

The page would really only be viewed by a very small group of people I imagine, but I want to have my back covered...

Comment

Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
                Like I said before given the size of the companies - it could be quite a daunting process to ask and I could get a 'no.
                So really I am thinking of embedding sth from their website and removing it as soon as I hear sth. After all if my Ltd provided services for them, they can't really deny me publishing that info, can they? (I had a quick look and none of the contracts even covered that area).
                I am also thinking of embedding a bit of media straight from their websites, much like you embed a youtube clip, so that I only link to their logo, rather than host it myself, if that helps with anything?

The page would really only be viewed by a very small group of people I imagine, but I want to have my back covered...
                Lots of websites now have legal terms and conditions covering copyright and the use of material. So copying or embedding data from their website if they are a large enough company would be a complete "no no".

Plus as someone has just pointed out the first thing you may hear from them is a solicitor's letter with a bill.

Also have a look at your contracts with them. See if there are any confidentially clauses and read them to confirm they don't stop you from mentioning the company's name in your company literature.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Some well known companies who provide images to the press will aggressively protect their copyright by continually searching for infringements and they have inhouse lawyers but most companies would not have that sort of set up.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                    I think it is copyright infringement. I have only known one company to take action (Harley Davidson) and ask for logo's to be removed from a 3rd party website. But that company is renowned for agressively protecting its corporate image.
                    Probably the main worry is trademark infringement, not copyright. I'd say just go ahead and use the logo, provided that you make it clear that they are a client and it couldn't be construed as you trying to pass off your business as being part of the client's group and acknowledged that the trade marks belonged to their respective owners. As for companies aggressively defending their trademarks, they are required by law to do this otherwise the mark could become genericised.

As for the legal aspect, I think the worst that will happen is that you get a take down notice and you then remove the offending content from the website. It's unlikely that you will get a bill for using someone's logo but I'd be inclined to tell them to shove it if they tried that on.
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X