• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying gold via Ltd?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Can't you buy 'real physical' gold without having to ever see it... aren't there companies who will hold it for you so the asset is real but not in your house?

As for silver... you'd need a lot more for the same value which might be a pain for storing.

What about platinum?
    The economic doom-mongers suggest buying silver to use as currency when the fiat money system completely collapses.

Just a thought...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I think gold will still have most perceived value in a time of a real crisis.
      It's certainly heavy and it 'feels' expensive, so I'll stick to gold, thank you and like I said one that my Ltd physically has.

Comment

Whoa!!

There are court cases ongoing at the moment that stemmed from the attempt on the life of the Goldman Sachs trader who reported HSBC and JPMorgan alleged manipulation of the bullion markets. The ETFs are subscribed at a ratio of 100/1, just takes a tiny run on precious metal, ie a few bods rocking up to the bank and demanding physical delivery and all kinds of hell will ensue.

The mainstream press tried to supress this for ages, but it eventually broke through rumour then financial press, then mainstream:

Ex-Goldman trader blows whistle on silver and gold manipulation by JPMorgan, HSBC - NYPOST.com
        Silver price manipulation: 'public deserves answers' - Citywire
        Sunday NY Post Publishes Maguire Silver Manipulation Evidence - DaveInDenver - Seeking Alpha

Cannot remember correctly on UK position on bullion investments, but i think you need to pay VAT on Silver, hence it never took off in the UK as an investment vehicle for the common peasant. Need Swiss accounts etc.

Comment

Originally posted by oilyrag View Post
          Cannot remember correctly on UK position on bullion investments, but i think you need to pay VAT on Silver, hence it never took off in the UK as an investment vehicle for the common peasant. Need Swiss accounts etc.
          This is why I questioned the difference earlier. You pay VAT on silver as it is a commodity but not on gold as it is currency, you are effectively just swapping money not buying anything? Is that right or am I just being a numpty. I am sure gold was different somehow
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
            I bought gold through my company using bullionvault. Confused the hell out of the accountants who tried to tell me it was personal and I had to declare it as a dividend. That was before I pointed out that you can only pay back into the account it came from i.e. the company bank account so they were talking out of their hoop!!
            Hello,

Can I please ask how did you avoid turning your trading company into investment company?
            Unlike trading company, investment company doesn't have the 10% ER (Entrepreneurs relief) on tax when closing the company.

I would like to also buy gold and/or silver, but my accountant told me:

"We would not typically recommend investing directly through the limited company.

This is because if 20% or more of the company’s assets/income/expenses/time is involved in investments, the company’s status will change from a trading company to an investment company. As an investment company you would lose your entitlement for entrepreneur’s relief upon closure (on which our tax planning is based)."

Did you find some alternative way to do this please?
            Or anyone else?

Thanks,
            Peter

Comment

Originally posted by pdanek View Post

Hello,

Can I please ask how did you avoid turning your trading company into investment company?
              Unlike trading company, investment company doesn't have the 10% ER (Entrepreneurs relief) on tax when closing the company.

I would like to also buy gold and/or silver, but my accountant told me:

"We would not typically recommend investing directly through the limited company.

This is because if 20% or more of the company’s assets/income/expenses/time is involved in investments, the company’s status will change from a trading company to an investment company. As an investment company you would lose your entitlement for entrepreneur’s relief upon closure (on which our tax planning is based)."

Did you find some alternative way to do this please?
              Or anyone else?

Thanks,
              Peter
              Did any of you end up buying gold? if yes, how did you go about? was it bullionvault or was it physical gold that you went with?

Comment

Originally posted by agility View Post

Did any of you end up buying gold? if yes, how did you go about? was it bullionvault or was it physical gold that you went with?
                for me I only buy gold sovereigns.
                They are VAT free and no CGT needs to be paid when you sell. That's the only gold like that.
                Buy it direct from the Royal Mint.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

for me I only buy gold sovereigns.
                  They are VAT free and no CGT needs to be paid when you sell. That's the only gold like that.
                  Buy it direct from the Royal Mint.
                  Thanks Lance

Comment

Working...
                  X