• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying gold via Ltd?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying gold via Ltd?

I have some leftovers in my Ltd Co accounts and seeing as pretty certain that the pound will drop I would like to safeguard my co's balances and offset that risk by purchasing real, physical gold.
    Is it ok, generally, I guess if gold rises in value over the years/months and I decide to sell it, I'd have to pay CT on the gains?
    What if the coins get stolen or I forget where I dug them (really happened to my grandfather - hence I have to work)?

It should be treated like any other investment the company would make. Any gain would be subject to CGT in the company when you decide to sell the gold.

If you buy a very large sturdy safe you're unlikely to lose them but that's not to say they won't be stolen. My guess is that if they were stolen, the investment in the company goes too and so you make a loss as the value of the gold will be zero.

Providing the company has the sufficient capital, it can invest it in the company's name.

Comment

AFAIK most of the spread betting trades are long on Gold ... i.e. the "experts" in the City are buying Gold in anticipation of it going through the roof due to the continued devaluation of paper currencies. But don't take mine or their word for it!

You can invest in Gold funds that hold physical Gold for you and you just buy a share of the Gold ... I think they are ETF funds. I'm thinking of doing the same as the Gov\BoE are deliberately devaluing the pound

Comment

Thanks for the valuable answers, looks good so far.
        Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
        You can invest in Gold funds that hold physical Gold for you and you just buy a share of the Gold ... I think they are ETF funds. I'm thinking of doing the same as the Gov\BoE are deliberately devaluing the pound
        I thought about this too, but if you spread your portfolio and treat Gold as a safe part, you should be able to get your hand on the physical stuff easily. Even with good ETFs, it could be tricky to get your gold in a real crisis (think riots etc), how do you get 1/3rd of the gold brick that ETF has collectively bought etc...
        I haven't yet looked into setting up a share dealing account for my Ltd Co either...
        But one day I will have a big enough portfolio to use these too

Comment

I’m looking to do the same, this very week in fact…except from personal account…

Another option you have is to get a locker at a bank to store the gold.
          Also, consider silver – this is predicted to rise sharply as well…

Comment

Originally posted by sal626 View Post
            I’m looking to do the same, this very week in fact…except from personal account…
            So not the same then

Another option you have is to get a locker at a bank to store the gold.
            Also, consider silver – this is predicted to rise sharply as well…[/QUOTE]

Isn't silver different? I thought gold was considered a currency whereas other commodities are not which makes a difference to something or other to do with tax/profits etc? Just something I remember but don't know the details hence the question.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

AFAIK, silver is traded the same way as gold. Traditionally gold bullion is held to back up currencies. But from an investment point of view, you can buy any precious metal (or property, etc)…they should be treated the same way.

Like I said, I’m buying from savings, so not looked into the company aspects of it…

Comment

I bought gold through my company using bullionvault. Confused the hell out of the accountants who tried to tell me it was personal and I had to declare it as a dividend. That was before I pointed out that you can only pay back into the account it came from i.e. the company bank account so they were talking out of their hoop!!
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
                  You can invest in Gold funds that hold physical Gold for you and you just buy a share of the Gold ...
                  What if the fund doesn't actually hold enough gold bullion to back up their deposits? I've got a concern that they might use the money on high risk bets elsewhere in the hope of outperforming the price of gold and therefore making a profit. If the fund goes titsup then you have bugger all chance of getting your "gold" off them.

I'd want to "see the money" so to speak.
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Can't you buy 'real physical' gold without having to ever see it... aren't there companies who will hold it for you so the asset is real but not in your house?

As for silver... you'd need a lot more for the same value which might be a pain for storing.

What about platinum?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X