• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All you people with EBT/Loan/Dodgy Umbrella schemes - what you gonna do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it worth starting a different thread about LTD/IR35 2.0?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
      Is it worth starting a different thread about LTD/IR35 2.0?
      No. Won't happen.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

My take is that you'd be totally nuts to use one of these schemes now.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

If one was considering the going abroad route, it would be intruding to compare tax regimes in other countries, anyone know of how other countries fare?
          Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            My take is that you'd be totally nuts to use one of these schemes now.
            I would agree and go further to say that anyone using use over the past 12-24 months is either totally nuts or perhaps a tad greedy.
            "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
              If one was considering the going abroad route, it would be intruding to compare tax regimes in other countries, anyone know of how other countries fare?
              If you are staying in European then expect to pay more tax. Also expect to find tax laws written very clearly so trying out a scheme there isn't going to work.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You'll find it difficult to find a better take home. Tax rates have gone up everywhere.

In Switzerland my take home is about 60%, that does include private pension contributions which you may or may not be able to retrieve it before your 65.

The UK is the only country I'm aware of where you could actually get away with a "tax avoidance" scheme; in most countries, so called tax avoidance will generally get you into a lot of trouble. In most countries judges have a no nonsense approach to people shifting money overseas.

If you move overseas then don't mess around with tax avoidance expecially from UK based companies, and assume the tax authorities are very tough. Just setup a company and tax it "normally".

Some contractors in Europe have found themselves the subject of tax evasion investigation, when they thought they had found a perfectly legal loophole.

You will also find that IR35 is fairly tame compared to the approach of most countries with regard to self-employment.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

I agree, actually I do not want to see the back of IR35, I want it left exactly as it is and I think the busy body types who have poked their nose into it resulting in the current review are going to cost the typical UK contractor dearly in higher taxes. I have looked carefully at the options open to me including going to tax free jurisdictions but these places have become flooded with 3rd world nationals working at very low rates. The salaries have fallen for western expats to the point where it is now quite possible to pay your Ltd Co tax in the UK and take home more than working in say Abu Dhabi where the rates have plummeted.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

IR35 not as bad as what may follow

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                    I agree, actually I do not want to see the back of IR35, I want it left exactly as it is and I think the busy body types who have poked their nose into it resulting in the current review are going to cost the typical UK contractor dearly in higher taxes. I have looked carefully at the options open to me including going to tax free jurisdictions but these places have become flooded with 3rd world nationals working at very low rates. The salaries have fallen for western expats to the point where it is now quite possible to pay your Ltd Co tax in the UK and take home more than working in say Abu Dhabi where the rates have plummeted.
                    I totally agree - the current arrangements are easy to avoid if you are a genuine freelancer. What may follow might not be so clear cut.

Given that government department names are anomalous (The Department of Employment oversaw massive increases in unemployment, The Department of Defence is actually there to attack, The Department of Education.....well you get the idea) the "Office of Tax Simplification" is unlikely to do as it says on the tin.

Agree too about the state of play elsewhere. It's only because we have taken hit after hit from what was a relatively relaxed position that we are feeling beleaguered. Other countries are much more draconian than our's; it's just that Hector is very busy trying to catch up.

I get offered a lot of work in Dubai and concur that the rates aren't worth a light anymore. The lack of tax is not in and of itself enough of an incentive.

I don't like what's happening here but I guess we'll all have to learn to live with it.

Pastalista

Comment

Bedouin stopped paying

I too have been with bedouin for about 7 months, and they have claims about another structure in place but this week they stopped paying me. I have had assurances three time this week that they would ay me today. So far no money has turned up. Is anyone else having trouble getting paid through Bedouin?

Comment

Working...
                      X