• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming expenses through Giant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming expenses through Giant

Hi, Ive just joined so please excuse my ignorance.

Ive been contracting at the same site for 16months now and was filling in my weekly timesheet/expenses through Giant Powerhouse as i do every week.
    But theyve now said that im unable to claim any expenses or subsistence because my contract has been extended to the end of the year (which will then be 26months).
    They said that because I KNOW i'll be there for over 24months i can no longer claim for any expenses and that starts from today

Is this right?

Thank you in advance

For the love of alah, become a real contractor and start your own company!

Just think about it, you have been throwing good money at these people for nothing. All those fee's you have being paying could have been going back in to your company as profit, which you could then syphon off at your own leasiure.

Now...do the right thing and create your own company and then you can organise your expenses as you want...not how some faceless organisation wants!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by nurain
      Is this right?
      Yes - http://forums.contractoruk.com/thread5620.html

A brolly giving correct advice
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

The moment you know your contract will go past 24 months then that is deemed your permenant place of so Travel and Subsustance is not claimable.

When I've been in that situation then the contract always ends 1 day before the 24 months and any extension is not signed until after the 24 month period.
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
          For the love of alah, become a real contractor and start your own company!
          I wouldnt know where to start.

Comment

I wouldnt know where to start.
            How I started my own company:-

Found a local accountant in Yellow Pages and phoned him.
            Asked him how to set up company, he said he'd do it for £100.
            I paid him the £100 and that was that.

Then I joined the PCG and bought the relevant insurance.

I retained the accountant who set up my company to do my year end accounts.

Monthly PAYE stuff is handled by my other half, who learnt how to do it by researching on the Internet and talking to the accountant.

Yes, it's *that* hard...
            Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
              How I started my own company:-

Found a local accountant in Yellow Pages and phoned him.
              Asked him how to set up company, he said he'd do it for £100.
              I paid him the £100 and that was that.

Then I joined the PCG and bought the relevant insurance.

I retained the accountant who set up my company to do my year end accounts.

Monthly PAYE stuff is handled by my other half, who learnt how to do it by researching on the Internet and talking to the accountant.

Yes, it's *that* hard...
              Thank you soooo much. I didnt realise it was that easy.
              I guess thats what i'll be doing this weekend!

Comment

Alternatively hire an accountant at a monthly fee and let him do all ur accounting. I'd advise keeping an eye on the numbers though just so you understand whats going on and how it all works.

Fees for accountants vary anywhere around between £50 and £100 / month. It still works out cheaper than using an umbrella/composite.

Yes it's a little extra hassle but I enjoy it and you can control how / when you allocate your funds.

Comment

to cowboy bob...
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Thank you soooo much. I didnt realise it was that easy.
                    I guess thats what i'll be doing this weekend!
                    Personally, I would advise against doing it that quick.

For every one person who has been satisfied with a randomly selected accountant, there will be ten who are unhappy.

Take advice on your choice of accountant first and then phone them.

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X