• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming Sponsorship Expense for Tuition

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming Sponsorship Expense for Tuition

Hi,

If I am an IT contractor through my limited company, can my company sponsor my wife's university tuition fee for her phd research study and book it as a sponsorship expense for the company?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

Regards,

Will this benefit the company? Is it anything to do with the companies main business?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 17 October 2010, 21:28.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Will this benefit the company? Is it anything to do with the companies main business?
      It is not related to the company's main business and there is no direct benefit to the company.

Comment

Then I can't see it getting past your accountant or the tax man.

If it was related then you'd have a valid argument, if it isn't then it's a tax dodge and will be seen as such.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by mce View Post
          can my company sponsor my wife's university tuition fee for her phd research study and book it as a sponsorship expense for the company?
          It might be difficult since your wife is a connected person. The test is probably "Would you sponsor a stranger to do the PHD research? What benefit would it have for your company?"

If you haven't already, you can make your wife a shareholder, pay he a salary under the TAX/NI threshold and split the dividends between you to avoid higher rate tax (if applicable).
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
            It might be difficult since your wife is a connected person. The test is probably "Would you sponsor a stranger to do the PHD research? What benefit would it have for your company?"

If you haven't already, you can make your wife a shareholder, pay he a salary under the TAX/NI threshold and split the dividends between you to avoid higher rate tax (if applicable).
            ....but make sure she is adding value to your business. She has to demonstrate that she is working for you to earn that else it looks very suss and will cause trouble should you get investigated.

Comment

I have shares in BP. I'd best go and do some voluntary work for them to show I'm adding value to the business.

There is no requirement to have your wife employed in order to pay her dividends.
              And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by mce View Post
                Hi,

If I am an IT contractor through my limited company, can my company sponsor my wife's university tuition fee for her phd research study and book it as a sponsorship expense for the company?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

Regards,
                Whilst it is unlikely to be offsetable against tax it is perfectly OK for you to sponsor her fee. However it is important to ascertain from you accountants the resultant tax treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                  I have shares in BP. I'd best go and do some voluntary work for them to show I'm adding value to the business.
                  Are you married to a director of BP who gave you shares at a nominal price which were not available to the general public and paid 10s of thousands in dividends then?

If so, then please take your car down to the beach and give it an oil change.
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post

There is no requirement to have your wife employed in order to pay her dividends.
                    Was pointing the fact he mentioned paying her a salary not the dividends bit. Dam pedants lol...

Comment

Working...
                    X