• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Extension - Cheeky Rise?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That would be reasonable. They are asking for extra flexibility so they ought to be ready to pay for it. Just like flats cost more on short let than on long let, or like pretty much anything costs more in smaller quantities.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
      That would be reasonable. They are asking for extra flexibility so they ought to be ready to pay for it. Just like flats cost more on short let than on long let, or like pretty much anything costs more in smaller quantities.
      But they are not asking for flexibility. They are so short of work they are putting him on a rolling month so they can bin him if they need to. This is to suit them not the contractor. The only other option is let him go. They are doing this as a last step to getting rid, not to introduce flexibilty. Completely different situation.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Client: we don't really have much work but we like you and want to offer you a rolling contract so we can try to find you work until things pick up.
        Contractor: in that case I want more money.
        Client: !!!
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Client: we don't really have much work but we like you and want to offer you a rolling contract so we can try to find you work until things pick up.
          Contractor: in that case I want more money.
          Client: !!!
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Not had the conversation yet so we will see what happens? I have a few irons in the fire and the only thing that makes me stick it out here is that it is very local to home for me. The other things in the pipeline would all be working away again and obviously I would prefer to stay at home. I think there is no harm in asking for a rise. If they say no then they say no. if they say no and tell me to do one then I wouldnt be too fussed as like I say, I have some firm offers elsewhere. The thing I am really in 2 minds about is that I dont want to be out of work come November time as in my industry, December, Jan, Feb are difficult times but I also have to take into account that this gig is only 5 minutes from my house. I know I am only ever worth 4 weeks no matter what the contract length is anyway.

Comment

"Asking for a rise" doesn't quite seem like a business relationship, but a permie asking for salary increase. I know contracting does blur the lines a bit but still, you'd want to phrase it as "I plan to raise my rates", at least. Did you mention if this was direct or through an agency?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I think the OP should ask a different question rather than " a rise please?"

I was a given amore senior role recently, and i did ask the dep manager at the time if i need by contract Revised to reflect the new title. He suggested and also i should be considered for remuneration for my extra duties. Hence after a week i was given a nice rate rise.
                So my suggestion to OP is ask for a "contract review". If they ask what that means, suggest the extra flexibility/risks/work etc you are doing and you would like them to consider you for a rate rise. If lucky you might get a few percent, if not be lucky you have a job thats so close to home

Comment

Working...
                X