• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract Extension - Cheeky Rise?"

Collapse

• diesel
    replied
    I think the OP should ask a different question rather than " a rise please?"

I was a given amore senior role recently, and i did ask the dep manager at the time if i need by contract Revised to reflect the new title. He suggested and also i should be considered for remuneration for my extra duties. Hence after a week i was given a nice rate rise.
    So my suggestion to OP is ask for a "contract review". If they ask what that means, suggest the extra flexibility/risks/work etc you are doing and you would like them to consider you for a rate rise. If lucky you might get a few percent, if not be lucky you have a job thats so close to home

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    "Asking for a rise" doesn't quite seem like a business relationship, but a permie asking for salary increase. I know contracting does blur the lines a bit but still, you'd want to phrase it as "I plan to raise my rates", at least. Did you mention if this was direct or through an agency?

Leave a comment:

• ads1980
    replied
    Thanks for the advice. Not had the conversation yet so we will see what happens? I have a few irons in the fire and the only thing that makes me stick it out here is that it is very local to home for me. The other things in the pipeline would all be working away again and obviously I would prefer to stay at home. I think there is no harm in asking for a rise. If they say no then they say no. if they say no and tell me to do one then I wouldnt be too fussed as like I say, I have some firm offers elsewhere. The thing I am really in 2 minds about is that I dont want to be out of work come November time as in my industry, December, Jan, Feb are difficult times but I also have to take into account that this gig is only 5 minutes from my house. I know I am only ever worth 4 weeks no matter what the contract length is anyway.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Client: we don't really have much work but we like you and want to offer you a rolling contract so we can try to find you work until things pick up.
    Contractor: in that case I want more money.
    Client: !!!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Client: we don't really have much work but we like you and want to offer you a rolling contract so we can try to find you work until things pick up.
    Contractor: in that case I want more money.
    Client: !!!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    That would be reasonable. They are asking for extra flexibility so they ought to be ready to pay for it. Just like flats cost more on short let than on long let, or like pretty much anything costs more in smaller quantities.
    But they are not asking for flexibility. They are so short of work they are putting him on a rolling month so they can bin him if they need to. This is to suit them not the contractor. The only other option is let him go. They are doing this as a last step to getting rid, not to introduce flexibilty. Completely different situation.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    That would be reasonable. They are asking for extra flexibility so they ought to be ready to pay for it. Just like flats cost more on short let than on long let, or like pretty much anything costs more in smaller quantities.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    And to be honest to pull that one with a client that is struggling to warrant your time already is a bit of an own goal imo.
    Absolutely! If you aren't prepared to walk then don't do it. If there is no other job in the offing then as you say, keep your head down and don't make waves.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    The only real answer to that one is:

Because I've just been offered another job which pays that rate.

Anything else is pissing in the wind
    And to be honest to pull that one with a client that is struggling to warrant your time already is a bit of an own goal imo.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by deckster View Post
    It's a pretty simple one to answer actually. Just play out the following conversation in your mind:

You: I'd like a rate increase please.
    PM/HR bod: Why?
    You: ...
    The only real answer to that one is:

Because I've just been offered another job which pays that rate.

Anything else is pissing in the wind

Leave a comment:

• deckster
    replied
    It's a pretty simple one to answer actually. Just play out the following conversation in your mind:

You: I'd like a rate increase please.
    PM/HR bod: Why?
    You: ...

If you see this going well, then go for it. If you haven't got a ready answer for 'Why', then probably best leave it...

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Where is your current rate in comparison to market rates for your skillset.

At the moment I am above the average for my skillset and happy with the rate I am getting.

No need to uneccesarily rock the boat sometimes.

As we know notice period means very little, they could stop giving you work tomorrow.

Perhaps a small raise in line with the fact that you consider a rolling month to unpredictable.

Leave a comment:

• dynamicsaxcontractor
    replied
    Its like playing poker, you know best yourself when you can push for a bit extra and when its really not a good idea. I wouldnt ask for anything extra if it was a months contract unless I was hundreds of pounds off what I should be getting. Whats the point of arguing for £25 extra a day for a month if you risk the month completely?

Also need to add I rather discount my rate for short term contracts than long term, I would see that more of a sales tactic to get in or just have something to do for a month.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Unless I was particularly unhappy or inconvenienced I wouldn't bother.

I would expect a rate rise if a) the market has changed or b) I have become more/invaluable to the client due to knowledge of their systems or niche area. Either way I expect to be in a strong situation to argue/prove this value going forward and in the best case the clients hands will be tied as it will cost a hell of a lot more to get rid and replace etc....

You haven't gone in to much detail but have not demostrated any of these points and are infact in a weak position due to there being little work. It is possible they are seeing this as a benefit to you and have possibly stuck their neck out to keep you on even on a rolling month in the offchance this new work comes up.

I would also expect to negotiate/argue my point. I quick question (unless they are expecting it) will always get a no, you have to prove it to them and prepare to fight your corner. Fighting your corner in a one month rolling quiet period isn't going to go down too well with the client.
    People say if you don't ask you don't get. I would argue even if you ask you don't get. If you negotiate you might get but I just don't believe you are in a position to do this.

Personally in your case I would get my head down, work hard, prove my worth to the client, find work/make work and when finally he WANT's you then you are in a position to ask for a rise. If you ask them now you are effectively giving them two decisions. 1) do we give him a rise 2) and while we are on the topic do we can this one month thing and call him when the work comes. It opens a can of worms I don't think you want to be opened.

Don't rock the boat over a couple of months in a weak position. Suck it in until there is definate work and then play your joker.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 25 August 2010, 13:16.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Don't ask = Definately don't get.
    WFBS

Depends how much you want the raise, deal breaker?

Ask them and start looking while they decide.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X