• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How is the 2-year expenses rule for mileage, etc affected by part-time work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is the 2-year expenses rule for mileage, etc affected by part-time work?

I've been working 4-days a week for a client since November, this month just dropped to 3-day weeks (all my choice, I negotiated lower availability due to other work). Obviously far off the 2 years now, but I just wondered if it's done pro-rate or calendar?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

There's no hard and fast rule, as usual with HMRC, but generally speaking if you spend less than 40% of your time on the client's site over the last 24 months the rule won't be appllied.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      if you spend less than 40% of your time on the client's site over the last 24 months the rule won't be appllied.

So if we only do 8 hour days we're only on site for a third of the day, so the 24 month rule is irrelevant.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        So if we only do 8 hour days we're only on site for a third of the day, so the 24 month rule is irrelevant.
        As Mal says... there is no hard and fast rule. Trying to meet the exact figures quoted isn't going to mean that you are not going to fall foul of this rule. Think about why they brought this rule in. It was seen as a reasonable amount of time for you to work in a particular area before a normal person would re-locate or find other work. If you are being unreasonable in this situation you could be a target if that makes sense.

If you do start off as 40% time and this creeps up over 40% it is going to get very complicated and you may have to even start the clock when you were before 40% just to be absolutely clean.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X