• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If I worked one day a week how can I avoid paying...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I worked one day a week how can I avoid paying...

Ok, so I'm new to contracting very new. Started a contract on friday and used Parasol as my Umbrella.

They charge a weekly fee of £28.50 or whatever it is, but seeing as a I only worked one day that week is there any way to avoid this? seems a bit crazy that it is taking half of my wages for that day.

Serious answers only please, thanks.

If that's their weekly charge then that's what you'll pay - even if you do only work one day. Are you normally going to be working one day a week or is it unusual? If it's normal then you might want to look at a different way of doing things, such as a limited company or moving to monthly payments if that is cheaper.
    Loopy Loo

Comment

One of the things about being a contractor, is that you have to deal with these agreements called "contracts". Once you've signed the "contract", then you have to abide by the terms. Now, you've got a "contract" with Parasol. In that you've agreed to make them a payment of £28.50 a week, no matter how many days you've actually worked in that week. That means you have to pay it.

The time to query it, and to negotiate is before you sign. Maybe another umbrella company would have given you a better deal - did you shop around?

Think of it as a life-lesson. Consider the implications before signing a contract.

btw - asking for serious answers only, even in this forum, is an open invitation to frivolity.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        even in this forum, is an open invitation to frivolity.
        ....and we likes frivolity!!!!
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          btw - asking for serious answers only, even in this forum, is an open invitation to frivolity.
          Because it shows a certain arrogance - you're demanding a serious answer?

Wibble (sorry Chef...)
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Infrared View Post
            They charge a weekly fee of £28.50 or whatever it is, but seeing as a I only worked one day that week is there any way to avoid this? seems a bit crazy that it is taking half of my wages for that day.

I'm not sure contracting is the right option for you at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Because it shows a certain arrogance - you're demanding a serious answer?

Wibble (sorry Chef...)
              And there is nothing big and clever about arrogance <cough>

Comment

Serious answers only please, thanks.
                Can we have a serious question next time then, rather than the badly disguised "I signed a contract that I don't like, how do I break it"?
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

seems a bit crazy that it is taking half of my wages for that day.
                  I am bit confused...

National Min wage (5.80) * 8 hours = £46.40 a day
                  28.50 * 2 = £57 a day

OK ok I know one is probably gross and one net blahdy blah but hell thats low for a 1 day a week contract isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    but hell thats low for a 1 day a week contract isn't it?
                    I think that the OP only did 1 day last week rather than doing 1 day every week. Although it's far from clear...
                    Loopy Loo

Comment

Working...
                    X