• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post
    I love your new avatar
    I don't; it stinks.

Comment

I love your new avatar ...its why i dont bother ... you and DR do it much better !
      Thanks. Amazing what you can do on photoshop
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Morlock View Post
        I don't; it stinks.
        its almost as good as the original one !

<is that better Morlock ?>

Comment

its almost as good as the original one !

<is that better Morlock ?>

Yeah but Santa's avatar was applied retrospectively from 1987 so his was actually the original.

Comment

Appeal to the Supreme Court

Originally posted by moira under the stairs View Post
            The programme will be broadcast again at these times:

BBC 4
            Fri 28 Jan 2011 00:55
            Fri 28 Jan 2011 03:30
            Mon 31 Jan 2011 23:00

.... and is available on iPlayer for the next week or so. for those who are interested
            I would encourage everyone to make a point of watching this. The interviews with the Judges are very enlightening.

It may not be your normal cup of tea as far as TV viewing goes but, like me, you may conclude that these people are our best hope of getting justice.

Personally I would feel extremely cheated if we didn't appeal to the Supreme Court and I hope everyone else feels the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Morlock View Post
              I don't; it stinks.
              ha ha. Now the debate is: Which form of time travel do HMRC actually use?
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBarCapBoyz View Post
                Given it is highly likely to end up in the Supreme Court and possibly the European Court, it would seem to be inevitable that the uncertainty will drag on for years yet.
                Could this not work to your advantage? i.e. if you have a CTD already then, if I understand correctly, the tax due remains the same and does not accumulate penalties/interest. So the longer the case continues, the more our (rampant) inflation will devalue the worth of the tax due.

So maybe in 20 years time, your house for example could be worth double what it is now, a loaf of bread will cost £20 and minimum wage will be £50/hour... but the tax due for this BN66 case will remain the same.

Or maybe I misinterpret the situation. Also I'm sure none of you would want the case to stay undecided for that long!

Comment

time to supreme

Originally posted by ;1270726
                  Given it is highly likely to end up in the Supreme Court and possibly the European Court, it would seem to be inevitable that the uncertainty will drag on for years yet.!
                  does anyone know how long to get from COA to Supreme court, and does Europe happen after Supreme Court, or can it happen in parallel?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    Could this not work to your advantage? i.e. if you have a CTD already then, if I understand correctly, the tax due remains the same and does not accumulate penalties/interest. So the longer the case continues, the more our (rampant) inflation will devalue the worth of the tax due.

So maybe in 20 years time, your house for example could be worth double what it is now, a loaf of bread will cost £20 and minimum wage will be £50/hour... but the tax due for this BN66 case will remain the same.

Or maybe I misinterpret the situation. Also I'm sure none of you would want the case to stay undecided for that long!
                    someone fairly close to this reckoned if you lose then there is another 5 years of waiting yet......

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

This makes no sense.

If a). the tax eventually becomes payable then the money has left your possesion when you first put it into the CTD.
                      This means you have paid out the notional amount at today's (or a few years ago) real value not the value when the tax become due.

If b). we eventually win and the money comes back, it comes back with vastly reduced spending power so the inflation works against us.

A better situation would be either to spend the money now, thus getting today's buying power or to put the money into something where it can earn a rate of return, thus reducing the errosion of inflation or even growing faster than inflation.

Comment

Working...
                      X