• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm one of those in that long red line at the top of the page, so I'm in.

Comment

Please bare in mind that if HMRC demand payment and Montpellier advice us to settle you will have 30 days to pay up or you face a penalty (20% I think). I believe they also add another 5% every subsequent 30 days payment is late.

Personally I could not afford to risk adding another 60k to my bill after 30 days for the sake of trying to fight something we have a slim chance of winning.

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
        Please bare in mind that if HMRC demand payment and Montpellier advice us to settle you will have 30 days to pay up or you face a penalty (20% I think). I believe they also add another 5% every subsequent 30 days payment is late.

Personally I could not afford to risk adding another 60k to my bill after 30 days for the sake of trying to fight something we have a slim chance of winning.
        Having read the comms from MP, there would appear to be little reason to think they would advise us to settle.

Comment

Originally posted by Squicker View Post
          Having read the comms from MP, there would appear to be little reason to think they would advise us to settle.
          As echo'd by many others - I can't settle what I don't have !

Comment

Options!

I really don't want to think of the alternatives, however, judging by the negative feelings around the forum and the not-so-positive spin on things from the recent MP comms, I've had to look here:

HM Revenue & Customs:Business Payment Support Service

Now presuming you had around £120,000 in liability and HAD to pay, what would usually be deemed as a reasonable time to pay? 12months, 24months, 120months?

Can I pay it back £1 a month until I die?????

I wonder how the system would cope if over 2000 individuals all registered that they could not pay but were willing to start making contributions?

Just like a number of us I'm sure, I have a very young baby and family to look after and do not want the might of HMRC destroying their lives through this horrific situation.

Time to get the press involved?
            Last edited by lucozade; 18 November 2010, 16:30. Reason: Typos!

Comment

Originally posted by Squicker View Post
              Maybe I got a different comms from everyone else but mine seems to suggest that the property developers got laughed out of court and the judges didn't seem to please that the Huitson arguement was being heard again.

Comment

Maybe I got a different comms from everyone else but mine seems to suggest that the property developers got laughed out of court and the judges didn't seem to please that the Huitson arguement was being heard again.
                I think your former statement is an exaggeration but take your point. The latter is not borne out in the text of the comms and is meaningless anyway. It's not whether the judges are pleased or not, it's what transpires to be the way the law acts upon the matter when examined.

One really can't speculate on this matter until the judgement is pronounced. Until then, eat drink and be merry as possible. I say again, it's painful but it is only money.

Should the worst come, I'll most definitely be bankrupt in finance, but my cup will still runneth over from the love, support and help from my loving family and friends. I am sure we're all the same in that respect and they'll never take that from us.

Comment

Bloody hell you sound just like my missus. Moan, moan, moan, moan, moan.

Give us a break will you.

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie Darko View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie Darko View Post

Now now. We all have our ways of dealing with this and I have a lot of sympathy for Helen's position. At the very least, she consistently brings us down to earth by remaining so relentlessly negative

Besides, I hate to say it but I happen to agree with her analysis of the MontP circular, depressing though it is

Comment

Working...
                      X