• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Interesting how the IR35Amnesty website doesn't exist any more!

There's a Wiki page that says it's registered in Bulgaria:

Ir35Amnesty.com - AboutUs Wiki Page

talk about dodgy, Alan!
    Bulgaria is NOT a tax haven !!

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
      Interesting take on big bad MP as well knowing fine well that he was the one out selling the scheme. Did you ever tell anyone, Alan, that tax legislation could be retrospective? If they knew, did you? Was anyone ever told the opposite, that tax legislation cannot be retrospective? When the scheme was sold, do you believe that we were given the full facts by you when you were promoting it?
      A policy decision was taken.

Why did you pay for Milne when you were so certain the scheme worked?
      I thought scheme worked until i received opinion from David Milne QC. I wanted an opinion from an eminent tax barrister not a "Junior" Barrister. It is notable that Montpelier never backed up their "junior" barrister opinion with an opinion from a QC. I wonder why !.

All in all, it makes little difference. The judges will decide our short term fate, not Alan, not MP, not HMRC. We hope they come to the right decision. But let's quit the moral grandstanding Alan, eh?
      You are absolutely right. All i was trying to say that you are wrong to direct 100% of blame at HMRC. Furthermore i am defending my decision to negotiate a settlement with HMRC. I was the only non-HMRC person present at the negotiation meetings and therefore i am the only person outside of HMRC who knows the position of HMRC at that time. AND at that time a settlement was the right thing to do.

Comment

eggs, baskets and contingency plans.

Originally posted by HMRC are above the law View Post
        I have been talking to one of the people who was made redundant at Montpelier, and its clear the mood of the company changed completely after the offices were raided and Mr Gittins was arrested.

It came as no real surprise when they announced they were pulling out of tax avoidance to concentrate on less risky activities.

Montpelier may still keep their word to continue fighting but it would be dangerous to assume its business as usual because it most certainly is not. The workforce in the Isle of Man is half the size it was and those that are left don't feel much sense of security either.

I wish you all the very best of luck.
        Personally, I think Montpelier have done a fantastic job for us in getting us all this far. And I feel very bad for the staff who have effectively also been shafted by HMRC too.

There is now no way that we can let all this hard effort go to waste. I for one would be more than happy to stump up a couple of grand to help taking our cause as far as is legally possible, if the unthinkable happened and Montpelier could not assist us to the next level. If there are 1000 users of the scheme who think similarly, then that's not a bad amount in the coffers to make sure we get access to the same caliber of people (if not, the same people) Montpelier used.

Would anyone else think this a workable idea, or have any idea of who to approach, *if* such an occasion arose? I can't be the only person thinking this....?

Comment

Originally posted by swede View Post
          Personally, I think Montpelier have done a fantastic job for us in getting us all this far. And I feel very bad for the staff who have effectively also been shafted by HMRC too.

There is now no way that we can let all this hard effort go to waste. I for one would be more than happy to stump up a couple of grand to help taking our cause as far as is legally possible, if the unthinkable happened and Montpelier could not assist us to the next level. If there are 1000 users of the scheme who think similarly, then that's not a bad amount in the coffers to make sure we get access to the same caliber of people (if not, the same people) Montpelier used.

Would anyone else think this a workable idea, or have any idea of who to approach, *if* such an occasion arose? I can't be the only person thinking this....?
          I bet Alan would represent us.

OK, I apologise, that joke was in very bad taste.

Let's wait and see what happens. Montpelier have honoured their commitment so far and, although they've gone through a big upheavel, they haven't given any indication that they won't continue to do so.

Personally, I'm 100% committed to fighting on no matter what happens.

How does everyone else feel?

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

Let's wait and see what happens. Montpelier have honoured their commitment so far and, although they've gone through a big upheavel, they haven't given any indication that they won't continue to do so.

i have too much to lose not to...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Jones View Post
              Bulgaria is NOT a tax haven !!
              Why Bulgaria? What was wrong with a UK address?
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

DR, I will continue fighting this until I am dead. How's that for commitment?
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Complete no brainer. They can't make me any more bankrupt and frankly the less left at the end of the day for Hector the better.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                    DR, I will continue fighting this until I am dead. How's that for commitment?
                    count me in

Comment

Ditto

Originally posted by Buzby View Post
                      count me in
                      Ditto x 100

Comment

Working...
                      X