• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SLB View Post
    Hi DR,

Do you know if "a while longer" is being measured in weeks or months?

SLB.
    No I don't. Our legal team enquired just recently but the court couldn't give any estimate.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      There's no queue as such because many cases heard after ours have already received judgments.

The vast majority of CoA cases are decided in 4-6 weeks.

It may be taking a lot longer because there are 2 cases for them to consider - ours and PwC's.
      It's hard to know what's going on, but in the absence of any other knowledge, I think that may favour us, to the extent that the arguments are at least being considered. The more the often that stories come out about how they let big coperations off their tax bill, how MPs get away with widescale aggressive tax avoidance without retrospection etc etc, only show HMRC to be the cowards, bullies and hypocrites that they are. If it the unfairness and disproportionality of this legislation is not apparent now, it never will be. All we have asked for is it to be considered fairly. Hopefully that's exactly what's happening.

Comment

No I don't. Our legal team enquired just recently but the court couldn't give any estimate.
        That's got to be deeply frustrating. I know it's only part of a tortuously long and painful legal fight, but to have to wait indefinitely for a decision would send me up the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by pastalista View Post
          He is very happy to help.

I cannot praise him highly enough. I wouldn't be here without him.

Let me know if you want him to contact you.

Pastalista
          Pastalista. I assume the cost of the of the tax lawyer was worth the investment. Can you advise on the going rate of the this sort of assistance?

NO win no fee would be great but hey it isn't a personal injury swindle is it!
          Regards

Slobbo

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."

Comment

I think there will be 3000 contractors beating a path to PastaLista's solicitor tomorrow.
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

santa's new avatar

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
              I think there will be 3000 contractors beating a path to PastaLista's solicitor tomorrow.
              I love your new avatar ...its why i dont bother ... you and DR do it much better !

Comment

Supreme Court

Did anyone catch the programme "The Highest Court in the Land" on BBC4 last night? It was very interesting. Most of the work they do is HRA related.

If the current appeal is unsuccessful we definitely want the case put before these judges. They have no problem standing up to the legislature and holding the law makers to account.

Comment

Did anyone catch the programme "The Highest Court in the Land" on BBC4 last night? It was very interesting. Most of the work they do is HRA related.

If the current appeal is unsuccessful we definitely want the case put before these judges. They have no problem standing up to the legislature and holding the law makers to account.
                  I didn't see the programme but read the related article on the BBC website, and had much the same thought. The whole point of a Supreme court is to properly scrutinise the actions of the government, so to stop before we get there would be insantiy.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    That's got to be deeply frustrating. I know it's only part of a tortuously long and painful legal fight, but to have to wait indefinitely for a decision would send me up the wall.
                    Given it is highly likely to end up in the Supreme Court and possibly the European Court, it would seem to be inevitable that the uncertainty will drag on for years yet.

Comment

Supreme Court

Originally posted by deckster View Post
                      I didn't see the programme but read the related article on the BBC website, and had much the same thought. The whole point of a Supreme court is to properly scrutinise the actions of the government, so to stop before we get there would be insantiy.
                      The programme will be broadcast again at these times:

BBC 4
                      Fri 28 Jan 2011 00:55
                      Fri 28 Jan 2011 03:30
                      Mon 31 Jan 2011 23:00

.... and is available on iPlayer for the next week or so. for those who are interested
                      MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Working...
                      X