• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TAF4 View Post
    http://wimg.co.uk/ShV.doc

Excellent DR - truly excellent.
    Most of the credit has to go to Toocan who drafted it.

Comment

Response from Eric Pickles

bog standard reply. Will send off the followup tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by BarneyCool View Post
        bog standard reply. Will send off the followup tonight.
        Good stuff.

We at least deserve a written reply from a Minister, hence followup letter (1) below.

Comment

sent off today

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          Most of the credit has to go to Toocan who drafted it.
          Such a lily-livered response from the government. Nice letter in response. Sent mine off today. Once again, well done to all involved for drafting this and motivating me and many others on here to take some action.

Comment

Originally posted by loser View Post
            Such a lily-livered response from the government. Nice letter in response. Sent mine off today. Once again, well done to all involved for drafting this and motivating me and many others on here to take some action.
            There is an understandable feeling amongst some people that writing letters is a complete and utter waste of time. I'm a "glass half empty" kind of person myself and I have no faith whatsoever in politicians, so I'm just as pessimistic and sceptical.

So why bother?

Because if we don't keep on their backs it creates the impression that this is no big deal. Maybe for some it isn't but for many this will be life changing, and not in a good way.

It's hard to really tell what, if any, effect the letters are having but for the sake of a few stamps it's surely better than doing nothing.

Comment

Action this day!

There is an understandable feeling amongst some people that writing letters is a complete and utter waste of time. I'm a "glass half empty" kind of person myself and I have no faith whatsoever in politicians, so I'm just as pessimistic and sceptical.

So why bother?

Because if we don't keep on their backs it creates the impression that this is no big deal. Maybe for some it isn't but for many this will be life changing, and not in a good way.

It's hard to really tell what, if any, effect the letters are having but for the sake of a few stamps it's surely better than doing nothing.
              In addition to what the Donkey says keep in mind that all of this correspondence builds our case. I don’t think any of us expects this topic to make the budget speech on the 22nd or even the budget notes. All we need is a single line in the draft Finance Bill – that is all we need. It may be a few days after the budget till we know if we have achieved our goal.

If that doesn’t happen then our campaigning effort will increase – but because we have all already made the MPs aware of the issue it will be much easier to get our case heard at that stage.

The pattern of response and indeed non-response tells us that we are having an effect – Timms never shied away from twisting the knife and we’ve had none of that.

There are now four letters available – see Donkey’s signature for the letters. Please send whichever one is appropriate and customise the letter if you can. Let your elected representatives know the effect that section 58 has had, is having and will have on you and your family. They don’t know unless you tell them because HMRC never conducted any impact assessment.

So send your letter – they are counting them.
              There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Excellent work on the letter guys!

Keep plugging away everyone! We are slowly making chinks in their armour
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

I have a relative in Inverness who is writing to Danny Alexander on our behalf as he is her MP. Is it an option for people to get relatives to write as well?
                  Regards

Slobbo

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."

Comment

Originally posted by Slobbo View Post
                    I have a relative in Inverness who is writing to Danny Alexander on our behalf as he is her MP. Is it an option for people to get relatives to write as well?
                    Absolutely. I've also heard from quite a few people whose partners have sent personal letters.

HMRC are very thick skinned but they won't welcome all this political attention.

Comment

So why bother?

There's also the possibility that we can become the least worst option. By being a constant pain, and gradually forcing their hand to reveal more and more, it may eventually reach the stage that HMRC realise we are stripping them of their weaponary against Joe Public. Someone in there made the decision to mislead/misbrief ministers. Someone in there made the decision to ignore legal advice and all Human Rights concerns and ride rough-shod over the law. The longer we persist, the closer we get. It may reach the stage where the smarter thing for HMRC to do is back off, in case Joe Public gets a good clear sight of the power they wield and their abuse of it. Yep, it is a long shot, but every long shot we take raises our chances, and even long shots sometime hit their targets.

Comment

Working...
                      X