• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    The letter came from HMRC's Ministerial Correspondence Unit if that helps.
    Is that not simply a dept. in HMRC responding to MPs query?

I think the letters state the position i.e. repeal. So why ask HMRC where its at... its a crock
    - SL -

Comment

We are still awaiting replies from

Dominic Raab, Cons. Esher & Walton-on-Thames
      Fat Boy Dim aka Nicholas Soames, Cons. Mid-Sussex

Comment

Originally posted by TheBarCapBoyz View Post

Still no response from my MP, Neil Carmichael (Cons) Stroud after two letters.

Comment

Still no response from my MP, Neil Carmichael (Cons) Stroud after two letters.
          Perhaps your letters have been passed on to HMRC.

Comment

No reply from Paul Beresford (Con), Mole Valley after two letters either. He was very efficient last time.

There's a part of me that quietly hopes that the budget on 22 June will, apart from the cuts, provide a clear demonstration of their mantra that "the UK is open for business". An unambiguous statement on certainty in the tax system, simplification, standardisation etc supported by actions repealing recent retrospective moves.

The press focus will be on the severity and location of the cuts and not on a fiscal neutral repeal of areas of the tax law that damage the UK's image abroad.

Yes, I know that it is wanton optimism butI'd rather the glass was half full.
            Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
            "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
              No reply from Paul Beresford (Con), Mole Valley after two letters either. He was very efficient last time.

There's a part of me that quietly hopes that the budget on 22 June will, apart from the cuts, provide a clear demonstration of their mantra that "the UK is open for business". An unambiguous statement on certainty in the tax system, simplification, standardisation etc supported by actions repealing recent retrospective moves.

The press focus will be on the severity and location of the cuts and not on a fiscal neutral repeal of areas of the tax law that damage the UK's image abroad.

Yes, I know that it is wanton optimism butI'd rather the glass was half full.
              WHS. To be honest it's been such a roller coaster ride you just don't know what's going to happen next. Personally I'm a bit of an optimist and hoping they will right this wrong before it goes to court again in November.

Comment

Dominic Raab Response

Originally posted by loftedtag View Post
                I have also sent a letter to Dominic Raab about 3 weeks ago, not received a reply yet. The previous incumbent Ian Taylor replied in 2 weeks when I first wrote to my MP about this. Maybe Mr Raab is inundated!

Also sent email copy of letter to Treasury marked for George Osbourne's attention. I am getting ready to send letter no2, but hopefully they will see the light and undue S58.
                I got my response today - main para of which "I share your concern about their retrospective legal application. I have written to the Treasury ministers on the matter. I hope this will be taken into consideration in the forthcoming emergency budget, bearing in mind the great pressures on the public finances."

M

Comment

2nd Letter fired off to my MP.

Although reading the responses on here, I don't hold out much hope. . .

LL

Comment

Originally posted by Lazylobster View Post
                    2nd Letter fired off to my MP.

Although reading the responses on here, I don't hold out much hope. . .

LL
                    In a situation like this it's best not to think too much.

If we had weighed up the chances of success before we started, no letters would have got sent.

For those who still have the will to continue, we are preparing more follow-up letters.

PS.

I'm just off to smash up some concrete posts with a sledgehammer, and I know exactly which organisation I'll be think of every time I swing it!!!
                    Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 11 June 2010, 13:12.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                      In a situation like this it's best not to think too much.

If we had weighed up the chances of success before we started, no letters would have got sent.

For those who still have the will to continue, we are preparing more follow-up letters.

PS.

I'm just off to smash up some concrete posts with a sledgehammer, and I know exactly which organisation I'll be think of every time I swing it!!!
                      DR, any mileage in firing a reply back to this Stanton bloke? (I got mine yesterday) Something along the lines of '... thanks mate for your opinion, but butt out', then accompanied by a few more smart-arse one liners I could think of.

Probably not, but it would sure as hell make me feel better....

Comment

Working...
                      X