• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richard Splash View Post
    I'm under the impression that there is interest paid because HMRC suggest you have to declare the interest on your tax return as income... un-ber-lieveable...leeches
    The interest paid if you withdraw it is so paltry as to be virtually worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      This is an abridged version containing all the "best" bits.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post1161783
      Thanks for this! On its way.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        Just got a similar reply from Gauke via my MP and have sent something back based on DRs quote from Gauke. Won't amount to anything but makes me feel marginally better for a short while.

Comment

Asked for meeting with Cameron

Originally posted by Taffia View Post
          Just got a similar reply from Gauke via my MP and have sent something back based on DRs quote from Gauke. Won't amount to anything but makes me feel marginally better for a short while.
          I have asked for a constituency surgery meeting with my local MP who happens to be the PM. I have so far got fobbed off by a lackey from the PM's office who wants me to tell her the reason as (understandably) there is a long queue! I have sent her various correspondence including Gauke's initial speech and his current weasel words, and asked if the PM could explain to me in person why he merely passed on the standard template b*ll*x. Cameron actually replied to me personally, early on in the campaign, saying the Conservatives were opposed to the retrospective element. I'd like to ask him a few questions now. I may have a long wait, but again, its making me feel a tad better....

Comment

Originally posted by normalbloke View Post
            I have asked for a constituency surgery meeting with my local MP who happens to be the PM. I have so far got fobbed off by a lackey from the PM's office who wants me to tell her the reason as (understandably) there is a long queue! I have sent her various correspondence including Gauke's initial speech and his current weasel words, and asked if the PM could explain to me in person why he merely passed on the standard template b*ll*x. Cameron actually replied to me personally, early on in the campaign, saying the Conservatives were opposed to the retrospective element. I'd like to ask him a few questions now. I may have a long wait, but again, its making me feel a tad better....
            Fantastic, well done "normalbloke" - I just wish one of us were in David Gauke's constituency.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
              You currently owe £100k tax + £50k interest.
              Put £100k in a CTD. (This stops any further interest accruing).
              Invest the £50k, and say you can get 3% net over the next 10 years.

That's £17k interest you get to keep even if we lose.
              Wish I had the money to invest, or put in a CTD. The problem with this going on years and years is that the debt gets increasingly more unmanageable for those of us who are not "cash rich".

The plus side though is that we stay in our houses, and can hope that our financial situation improves.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorGowen View Post
                Wish I had the money to invest, or put in a CTD. The problem with this going on years and years is that the debt gets increasingly more unmanageable for those of us who are not "cash rich".

The plus side though is that we stay in our houses, and can hope that our financial situation improves.
                thats all i can hope for, if its concluded now then its curtains for me....i struggle to think HMRC would hold fire on collection if it went to europe and there was such a long wait.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorGowen View Post

As you can imagine, I hear from a lot of people in very difficult situations.

The majority say, if we end up losing, they would rather have a few more years.

This is not a case of people burying their heads in the sand and being unwilling to face up to the problem. Most have very genuine reasons for wanting more time.

As an extreme example, I was recently contacted by a woman who is terminally ill...
                  Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 11 August 2010, 10:48.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                    i struggle to think HMRC would hold fire on collection if it went to europe and there was such a long wait.
                    I'm sure we'd get a lot of support in Parliament if HMRC tried to enforce collection while we were appealing to Europe.

Also remember there is a separate process HMRC would need to go through, to discharge the appeals of our Closure Notices, before they could issue demands, so we would get plenty of warning of their intentions.

I trust no-one would take this lying down?

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                      Take a look at posts #1586 and #1587 on this thread. They are too long to print on one post here and I couldn't get a link.

This was a letter sent to Gauke, Zac Goldsmith and my local MP dated 7 July. I am still waiting for a reply.

Good luck with yours.
                      Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                      "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Working...
                      X