• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheBarCapBoyz View Post
    Hang on. Time out.

What public finances nonsense? The potential revenue from BN66 is not included in the public finances, and couldn't be since the Government aren't likely to receive anything until about 2015.

And in any case, the public finances are the same as they were when the Tories and LibDems opposed BN66.
    The BarCapBoyz sincerely hope this isn't going to be the standard response. Which MP has replied with that?
    A fair number of Tory MPs have replied with this.

As I said earlier, any potential revenue from BN66 (even in 2015) would never be included in a Budget anyway because this is historical revenue. It is therefore totally irrelevant from a budgetary tax/spend point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazylobster View Post
      Has anyone had a response from their MP yet. I don't want to know the content (the walls have ears) but just interested as mine has not responded.

LL
      I have had 2 acknowledgements from 1 and 1 acknowledgment form the other. One is a newbie and has said she is going off to find out all about this - thought I'd get in there first before she has a load of regular stuff to do....
      The Cat

Comment

Letter 1 Response

My Cons MP (Richard Ottaway) has responded to the 1st letter stating:-

"As this is a particular technical matter I am seeking advice. I hope to have a clearer view on the siutation in due course when I will write to you again".

A reasonable response, as I would not expect all MP's to understand the ins and out of all the points raised, without some research.

I had previously discussed the matter with him pre-election, and he seemed supportive of both the this case and the current situation wrt IR35.

Mad

Comment

Originally posted by Maddog View Post
          My Cons MP (Richard Ottaway) has responded to the 1st letter stating:-

"As this is a particular technical matter I am seeking advice. I hope to have a clearer view on the siutation in due course when I will write to you again".

A reasonable response, as I would not expect all MP's to understand the ins and out of all the points raised, without some research.

I had previously discussed the matter with him pre-election, and he seemed supportive of both the this case and the current situation wrt IR35.

Mad
          I expect your MP will be given a copy of the Parliamentary Library note on the subject and possibly some information from HMRC which will follow a similar line to what they have sent to us. The template letter already rebuts any points suggested by these though in truth HMRC have never really given anything substantial.

Please keep us up to date with any reply you receive – feedback had been surprisingly sparse thus far.
          There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Havent had a reply from my MP (Ben Wallace) yet, although he has acknowledged it. So I've amended the '2nd letter' and sent that to him.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
              If it's over 2 weeks since you wrote to your MP and you still haven't had a reply, you may want to send this to help ram the message home.

http://wimg.co.uk/ozF.doc

Thanks!
              DR
              Thanks DR!! Second letter sent and am circulating to others that I know would be interested....

Comment

Reply from another Conservative

Got my reply from Jane Ellison.... "due to the public finances etc etc, we can't promise to repeal" response so will be sending her the next standard reponse in response to the standard response they seem to be sending!!

Comment

My thoughts on the responses so far

Most people have received the "standard" response. It is clear to me that this must have been approved/sanctioned by the Treasury, including this sentence:

Treasury ministers are aware of the strength of feeling on this issue as they work on the detail of an emergency Budget scheduled for 22 June 2010.
                  Now, here's the interesting thing.

No-one has actually received a response from a Treasury Minister, like the letters we used to get from Kennedy & Timms.

Why not?

Moreover, it would be easy for them to do what Timms did and simply decline to comment in light of the legal proceedings but they haven't done this.

Why not?

Eventually the Government will have to state its position but it's obvious that they wish to remain tightlipped at the moment.

Why?

I don't know but it's certainly intriguing.

Comment

Back in the land of the living

and letter going off to Stephen Hammond tomorrow AM

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                      Why?
                      I don't know but it's certainly intriguing.
                      I take comfort from the fact they haven't clutched at easy get-out options.

Follow up letter sent to Steve Brine (Con.) as it is now over 3 weeks since I sent the first and he hasn't even acknowledged receipt.
                      This is a Conservative win replacing Lib.Dem. Mark Oaten and I am still getting hardcopy spam from him promising commitment, energy and lots of other happy-clappy words.

I reserve judgement.

Comment

Working...
                      X