• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snap

Originally posted by TheBarCapBoyz View Post
    One of the Boyz' MP, Nicholas Soames, passed this on... not sure if it's a template people have seen before, but it's pretty depressing either way.

----------------------------------------------------------

Dear Nicholas

Thank you for your letter of 7 June on behalf of your constituents, asking for section (4) and (5) of the Finance Act 2008 to be repealed.

While I can understand your constituent's concerns and the difficulties they and others currently face, we are not in a position to agree to their request. We are, in general, opposed to retrospective legislation and, when in Opposition, voted against the introduction of the provisions to which your constituent objects. The legilsation in question is currently the subject of judicial review by the courts, and we believe that case should run its course.

I have spoken to HMRC about the potential financial difficulties that users of the scheme may face. Officials there have confirmed they have established procedures for dealing with cases of genuine hardship. Where any scheme user fears they may now have difficulties in meeting their tax liabilities, they can find details of these procedures on the HMRC website at HM Revenue & Customs: Payment problems, or they can call HMRC's Business
    Payment Support Service on 0845 302 1435.

Please pass on my thanks blah blah blah

-------------

what a load of crap.

It's quite clear what this guy's views are.... check out his website...

Tax Avoidance Debate | David Gauke MP - Member of Parliament for South West Hertfordshire

A colleageue here has just walked in with the exact same reply via his MP

Comment

Who the **** is the Secretary to the Exchequer?

The bloke who makes the tea by the sounds of it

Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Gauke letter

Can anyone confirm what the date was on this letter? I'm assuming it was very recent, and therefore supercedes the "standard template" etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          Can anyone confirm what the date was on this letter? I'm assuming it was very recent, and therefore supercedes the "standard template" etc.
          14th June on the letter from Gauke, so, yes, looks like a new "template".

Comment

looks like they are trying to make it appear that these are personal replies by issuing a new template

Comment

14th also on the one I've had sight of.

Comment

The new template, as you call it, isn't really new. It's virtually identical to the letter some people received from HMRC on behalf of the Chancellor.

This has got the hand of HMRC all over it, and it just goes to show how much power they wield.

Even if the country wasn't facing savage cuts & tax hikes, and it had been easier to sell repeal of retro to the public, HMRC would probably still have managed to get their own way.

It's easy to lambast HMRC when you're in opposition but not when you have to work with the buggers.

Comment

Dinner Date Dave

The new template, as you call it, isn't really new. It's virtually identical to the letter some people received from HMRC on behalf of the Chancellor.

This has got the hand of HMRC all over it, and it just goes to show how much power they wield.

Even if the country wasn't facing savage cuts & tax hikes, and it had been easier to sell repeal of retro to the public, HMRC would probably still have managed to get their own way.

It's easy to lambast HMRC when you're in opposition but not when you have to work with the buggers.
                  They'll be lucky to get a work done with Mr. Harnett. He seems to be
                  out to lunch constantly.

http://www.u.tv/News/Tax-boss-most-w...e-3bca02cb78e1

Should we ask him out to tea too?

Comment

You start to understand why people get to the point where they feel they need to dress up as Batman and climb up Buckingham Palace just to get somone to listen...

Now there's an idea.

Last edited by TheBarCapBoyz; 21 June 2010, 13:44.

Comment

Raising unrealistic hopes

I really hope I haven't done this over the past few weeks.

I always said this was a longshot. However, I'm also acutely aware that every time we do something it gives people just a glimmer of hope, and the disappointment when it comes to nothing takes its toll.

On the face of it, sending a few letters doesn't sound like much but all the setbacks add up over time to dampen morale.

Going forward there are other things we can try, although I will fully understand it if some people would rather just wait now for the Court of Appeal hearing in November.

Before anyone asks, I will be carrying on as usual.

Comment

Working...
                      X