• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Christmas Company Meal -too late ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Ohh you can be so Bah Humbag FaQQer!!! chillax and smile for post or two

It's been discussed before - "if I'm on holiday and we go out for a fancy meal, can I claim it as my Christmas party?"

If DS23 was seriously considering claiming for it while abroad (I don't recall who originally asked the question, and CBA to search for it), then he is potentially going to end up in trouble with the tax man for it.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

It's been discussed before - "if I'm on holiday and we go out for a fancy meal, can I claim it as my Christmas party?"

If DS23 was seriously considering claiming for it while abroad (I don't recall who originally asked the question, and CBA to search for it), then he is potentially going to end up in trouble with the tax man for it.
      Thing is the way I read it he wasn't being serious though lol.....
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        No - if you are a director (but NOT an employee), then you aren't invited. It has to be an employee, and all employees have to be invited.
        Observation -
        Last edited by Robot; 10 February 2010, 22:40. Reason: Made an observation - but decided to take it down, to many eyes reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Robot View Post
          Observation -
          Last edited by Robot : Today at 22:40. Reason: Made an observation - but decided to take it down, to many eyes reading.
          Isn't eyes reading kinda the idea of a public forum???

Comment

I plan on claiming my Christmas party (myself as the sole employee, and a guest) as a tax deductable expense.

For a relatively innocuous reason I ended up paying for this in two seperate transactions to the following values:

£250.60 and £50.60 = Total £301.20

I understand that over the £300 mark (£150 per person) this becomes a benefit in kind and things get messy.

Could I get some guidance on whether I should look to claim for £250.60 (referencing just one receipt) or alternatively claim for the full £300, ignoring the £1.60?

My thinking is that option 1 the way to go and option 2 may not even be allowable but would welcome a second opinion.

Comment

From what I read on here this doesn't just cover xmas. It can be any number of works events over the year but cannot exceed the amount in total for the whole year. If you claim last xmas do in this year up to the max you can't have another do in the next 12 months I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Joxer View Post
                I plan on claiming my Christmas party (myself as the sole employee, and a guest) as a tax deductable expense.

For a relatively innocuous reason I ended up paying for this in two seperate transactions to the following values:

I understand that over the £300 mark (£150 per person) this becomes a benefit in kind and things get messy.

Could I get some guidance on whether I should look to claim for £250.60 (referencing just one receipt) or alternatively claim for the full £300, ignoring the £1.60?

My thinking is that option 1 the way to go and option 2 may not even be allowable but would welcome a second opinion.
                Not sure. I'd be safe and do the 250.

VAT is not claimable for your guest though....

Comment

Originally posted by Joxer View Post

If you're talking about tax deductable expenses than my understanding is:

It's per employee, and not per employee's guests. As your company is made up of one employee, you're allowed one lot of £150 to spend.

Furthermore, you can spend UP TO £150. As soon as you spend over that amount, then the full amount becomes non-tax deducatable. In otherwords, because you have two receipts, and one of those receipts of for way over the £150 threshold, the only thing you could claim on is the £50 receipt. Unlucky.

Unless my understanding is completely wrong, which is always a possibility.

Comment

Working...
                  X